Tuesday, December 18, 2007

It's 2:15 P.M. And All's Well

Occasionally my curiosity gets the best of me and I just have to take a little tour around the library and see what's going on.

At 2:15 in the afternoon one cold, dreary December day, you'd expect people to either be Christmas shopping or home taking a nap. I figured it'd be really quiet around here, but not so in the Moultrie-Colquitt County Library. My tour proved it. With pen and paper in hand, I locked the office door and took my little stroll. Here's what I found.

  • There are 20 Dell computers in the computer area and 14 people were working at them.
  • Three staff members were working in the back workroom.
  • Another one was at the circulation counter, helping a patron.
  • There was one staff member at the intra-library loan area and one in the reference area.
  • A patron sat reading a newspaper in one of our new reading area chairs.
  • A young mother carried her small child in another part of the reading area and looked at the covers of magazines on the racks.
  • A patron stood at the magazine rack, reading to himself as he held a magazine close to his face.
  • There was a boy of about 8 in the children's library, walking the aisles and looking at books.
  • Two staff members in the children's library were practicing for a special children's program.
  • And there were four people working in the genealogy library, along with one staff member.

And I nearly forgot about the two staff members in the Bookmobile area, and the two working in Information Services. Also, the three patrons sitting in the auditorium.

Now, how's that for an afternoon at the library? I thought it was surprisingly busy. In fact, I was really delighted that many people wanted to be at the library at a time when I would have been home taking a nap!

Just wanted you to know that it's 2:15 p.m. and all's well here at the library.

Remember, we close Wednesday, December 19th at 5:30 p.m. and reopen January 3, 2008 at 8:30 a.m.

No comments: