Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Who Has A Birthday Today?

I have a really neat website I go to when I want to look at daily literary birthdays. It's put up by the Waterboro Public Library in Waterboro, Maine. They have an old website and a new one, but I really like the old website better. I think it's because of the birthdays.
I use these birthdays in all kinds of ways...in the blog, of course; on the bulletin board, of course, and often with the birthday person's picture; and in various writings.
Some of the people I've never heard of, but I enjoy knowing a little something about them. Often, I get curious enough to check them out in Wikipedia or other reference books we have here at the library.
So, today I checked out who was listed on August 12th.
  • English poet and biographer Robert Southey (1774; selected Southey poetry)
  • The author of America the Beautiful, Katharine Lee Bates (1859)
  • Spanish dramatist and 1922 Nobel prize winner Jacinto Benavente y Martinez (1866)
  • U.S. mythology writer Edith Hamilton (1867)
  • U.S. mystery writer Mary Roberts Rinehart (1876), author of The Circular Staircase
  • English novelist and literary critic Frank Swinnerton (1884)
  • Zerna Sharp (1889), born in Indiana and the creator of the Dick and Jane readers for children
  • Brooklyn-born satirical novelist Wallace Markfield (1926; d.23/May/2002)
  • Chicago native, novelist and screenwriter William Goldman (1931), who wrote Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  • Virginia native (raised Harlem), African American young adult novelist and picture book writer Walter Dean Myers (1937), who received a Newbery Honor Award for his book Scorpions (1988)
  • NYC-born writer Gail Parent (1940), author of Sheila Levine Is Dead and Living in New York (1972) and a comedy writer for "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"
  • Pennsylvania-born poet and essayist J.D. McClatchy (1945).

Well, that's a bunch, huh? I knew some, but mostly I knew what they had written, like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. I also found a couple of birthday people I'd like to know more about, such as the author of America the Beautiful, Katherine Lee Bates, and Zerna Sharp and Walter Dean Myers and Gail Parent. Working in a library is wonderful, but there's just never enough time to read all I want to read. Even bookworms have problems! (Source: http://www.waterborolibrary.org/)

No comments: