Thursday, April 16, 2009

That "Street" Behind Our Library

Our local newspaper carries a column titled Rant and Rave. I've never placed my comments in the column, but that doesn't mean I don't have things to rant and rave about.
Today I'm going to make the library blog my Rant and Rave about that "street" behind our library. And because it's behind the library, it's library-related. So, here goes....
There are a good many of us employees who park behind the library. It's a designated parking area for library staff, and the two green signs stuffed next to the curb in front of our cars say so. But it's a very dangerous place for us to park.
The reason...well, it's on a one-way street. It's really not wide enough to call a street, but I guess that's what it is. When I was growing up, we used to call them alleys, but I realize times have changed.
Anyway, this one-way street often becomes a two-way street. That doesn't mean two cars can pass each other. It means cars drive the wrong direction on the one-way street. There is a stop sign at the end next to the Bert Harsh Park, but there's not a stop sign at the entrance where the Windstream building is. There's not even a sign that says it is one-way.
The danger comes when we attempt to back out. It's normal for us to look to our left to see if a car is coming, because that's the right direction for them to appear. However, when a car is coming from the wrong direction (and usually sailing down the "street"), that's when we are nearly hit. Not the whole side of our cars, but the backend; right rear bumper and fender to be exact. The situation of nearly being hit leaves you breathless...just sucks the air right out of your body! No honks to let us know they're coming. They just
sail past.
Now, granted sometimes we can see them coming from the wrong way, but most of the time we can't. I had one of those experiences yesterday. In fact, yesterday's event was the third time someone has sailed down that "street" and nearly nailed me. Even though I had looked both ways. All I could figure out was they came out of the library parking lot and turned right (a no-no), going in the wrong direction. There's even a green sign at that library parking exit with a yellow arrow and the word "ONLY" in yellow indicating they are to turn ONLY to the LEFT.
I've talked with other staff members and they say the same thing. There have been instances when someone coming from the wrong direction nearly hit them also. I suppose it's time we got in touch with the city for more signs with different words. In this day's economy, that won't come with a welcoming smile.
OK, you say, enough is enough. I've ranted and raved long enough. You get the message. I know.
Thanks for letting me get it all out of my system. Well, until I nearly get hit again....

No comments: