Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Have You Started Your Summer Reading?

We've taken care of the kids for the month of June with all the programs that Miss Norma, our children's librarian, has come up with. Now we need to take care of the adults.
I checked over our new and bestseller racks to see what might be interesting for your summer reading. Are you ready?
In the romance section I found To Dream by Carolyn Brown. This is an Avalon romance and a Broken Roads romance. Romances are always a big summer hit...especially for the ladies.
One book I want to read is an Oprah book and New York Times Bestseller, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. I hear they're going to make it into a movie also.
Two well-known authors with books on our shelves are Mave Binchy with Heart and Soul and Pearl Cleage with Baby Brother's Blues, which is a New York Times Bestseller.
But I guess the most popular genre for any reading time is the cozy mystery, again mostly for ladies. The three I found just waiting to be read are Murder Takes The Cake by Evelyn David, Cream Puff Murder by Joanne Fluke, and Poisoned Tarts by G. A. McKevett. There were more, but for some reason I must have been hungry and these popped out at me.
Anything But Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin is a book you might want to pick if you have a middle-grader or teen and you'd like them to read this summer. Baskin's books are fun and crazy reading to be enjoyed especially by teens.
I also found a humorous memoir on the shelf by Philip Gulley. Just the name was funny. I Love You, Miss Huddleston, and Other Inappropriate Longings of My Indiana Childhood. That might have to be my next book to read. Of course, another memoir with some humor is by Bill O'Reilly titled A Bold Fresh Piece of
Humanity.
We have a large section of patrons who love Christian Fiction, especially Tales from Grace Chapel Inn. Two books on the shelf are Slices of Life by Judy Baer and Midsummer Melody by Rebecca Kelly. And there are even more Christian Fictions to select in the same section of shelf.
Of course, now and then I find books that are a little different. Today The Everything Chihuahua Book by Joan Walker took first place. Then Better by the Dozen Plus Two (from a family of sixteen) by James and Kathleen Littleton was my second one. And a book about a sobering piece of history, The Last Campaign (of Robert Kennedy) by Thurston Clarke, will make interesting reading.
That should get you started with your summer reading. I've picked out the three books I want to read from this list. Let's see who gets to them first.

No comments: