Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Some People Got An Early White Christmas

Have you been watching that big storm sail across the United States? It's all the buzz on television, especially the weather station. It's like the weatherman's first Christmas present!
My brother lives in the Houston, Texas area. They were all surprised to see that white stuff called "snow" covering the ground.
I was in the sixth grade the first time I saw snow in Houston. It covered the playground of our elementary school and I walked through it to go to class. But when I came out at lunch time, the boys had been busy. During recess, they had rolled all the snow up into a big ball. And there it sat! One big white ball. Talk about being disappointed! I never got to play in it.
But through the years I got my fill of snow when I moved to Nebraska. Of course, it's always lovely when it first falls. In the right kind of light, with the biggest of snowflakes, you can see how different they all are from each other. They are amazing and beautiful little globs of frozen water.
Anyway...even though we probably won't have a white Christmas here in Moultrie, it seems most everyone is getting ready for the big event.
We have decorations up at our house. There are lights and wreaths and bows and trees. There are moving, lighted deer and Santas and sleighs. And there are red or white flowers of all kinds. This evening a group of people are going to decorate a clubhouse where a Christmas dinner will be held on Saturday. And they'll share special treats and sing carols. I'll be part of that group.
We've decorated here at the library also.
Our foyer table has a little sparkly tree and lots of good reading about Christmas. "'Tis The Season" for curling up or baking or creating, and plenty of books to fit your needs.
We have winter mysteries, books about good eating stuff, and plenty of kids' books to delight even the smallest child.
I think the thing I've enjoyed the most lately is listening to the children who look in the lighted glass cases in the front lobby. As I was filling the cases with Christmas ornaments the other day, a little black-haired boy of about five kept saying, "What's that?" and "What's that?" as each ornament was placed in the case. We had quite a discussion about each ornament. And this morning, a little boy and girl, looked like they were brother and sister, stood and pointed at the different wooden ornaments and carried on an excited conversation.
We've had adults stop and look in the cases also, especially at the large ornament tree filled with the most gorgeous golden ornaments I've ever seen.
Of course, you must take a drive around town and look at the Christmas lights, too...that wonderful canopy of lights that no other town has. If that doesn't get you in the mood, I don't know what will.
Who knows. We could get a covering of snow by Christmas time. Wouldn't an early white Christmas here in Moultrie look lovely? Well...for the first few hours, anyway.
Just thinking about it makes me want to curl up with a good book.

No comments: