Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What about those resolutions?

     Did I ask you earlier if you made any new year's resolutions?  Well, I did.  But I'm wondering if I should have.  I mean, after all, aren't they made to be broken?  (Someone said that to me one time.)
     I have considered some things that I'd really like to have as resolutions.
     For instance, I would like to resolve to read more classics this year.  I've read Gone with the Wind and The Lord of the Rings.  We had to read War and Peace in school.  But I haven't read Look Homeward, Angel by Thomas Wolfe.  So, maybe that should be one of my classics to read this year.  I must admit I tried to read Deliverance by James Dickey, but just could not finish it.  Maybe something else by Mr. Dickey would be more interesting to me.
     Another resolution I've considered is reading more non-fiction books.  For the past few years, I've been hung up on these fun little cozy mysteries.  In previous years I enjoyed biographies of famous people.  But I think it's time for me to get serious this year about a few non-fiction books.  And just thinking about that makes me curious as to what I might find here at our library.
     I've also resolved to clean out my bookcases at home.  Do you have books that you're holding onto for some reason...don't know the reason, but just keeping them?  Well, why not find another home for those books, so they can enrich some other person's life?  If they're in good condition, clean, no torn pages, etc., consider passing them on to the library.  If they're in poor condition, find another home for them or trash them.  But move them along.  You'd be surprised how much room in your bookshelves you can open up for other great books to read (then pass on also).
     My best resolution for 2011 is this...life is too short; read all you can as fast as you can and enjoy a good book!!!
     By the way, we've got plenty of them here at our library.
    

1 comment:

Kris... farm snippet writer said...

Oh, I have the hardest time getting rid of some of my favorite books! I should have a resolution to go back and read them again. As a sock knitter, I found out that there is reference in War and Peace about knitting two socks at one time. Those classics are great!