Thursday, August 11, 2011

At the library - YEAH!

     I've had so much fun lately, helping our web developer, Aileen, with the website.  I've had the opportunity to go through our website and check out the links to see if they work.  Aileen is working hard on preparing the site for our new URL and for me it's a learning experience.
     I've found so many interesting sections to the Children's Library's site and I want to tell you about them.
     First, (when you're finished reading the Bookworm Blog) go back to our Home Page and click on Departments, one of the sections which also includes User's Guide, etc.  In Departments you'll see three pictures on the right hand side with the names of the departments.  Click on Children.  That will bring up the Welcome page to the Children's Library site.  Now, on the left hand side of the screen you'll see the different areas...Kid's, Parents, Story Time, etc.
     When you click on Kid's, that will bring up the screen showing Primary, Elementary, and Teens.  If you click on Primary, you'll see sites for the Berenstain Bears, Lil' Fingers, Curious George, Starfall, and Seussville University.  It's here you'll find stories, activities, and topics such as learning to read.
     Under Elementary, you'll find sites for Child Safety on the Information Highway, Search Engines, and Homework Help.  Plans are being developed for a Teen site in the future.
     Now, go back to where you found Kid's and click on the Parents section.  Here's where you'll find Suggestions for Kids Who Read, Literature Resources, AR Lists by Schools, and Web Resource Suggestions.  This is a great site for parents who are home schooling their kids.  There's lots of great information here to make the schooling fun and interesting.
     OK.  Back again to where Kid's is and you'll find Story Time.  This is where you'll find a schedule of upcoming programs planned for children.  But I have to tell you that at this time, the site is being worked on to coordinate it with school functions.  So, put it in your Reminder Box to check it at a later time.
     And back again to where you found Kid's.  Look for Mouse Picks.  This is my favorite spot because I love the books that are selected and I love all the websites I can visit that tell me about not only the book, but the authors and illustrators.
     Of course, I clicked on them all (even if they are the librarian's favorites).  One book is titled "It's Thanksgiving."  I clicked on that and then clicked on "Thanksgiving and Turkey Themes."  After all, Thanksgiving is coming up faster than we'd like to admit.  It's a great site!  Under the section "Songs and Poems" I found myself singing "Alburquerque the Turkey" (to the tune of "O' My Darlin' Clementine") and "Turkey Pokey" (to the tune of "Hokey Pokey").
     But I have to admit my favorite book is "The Lion and the Mouse" by Jerry Pinkney, because he is one of my favorite illustrators.   It's on the Mouse Picks page.  At this book site you can learn all about the book, as well as the illustrator...and the pictures are astounding!  I'd like to cut them out and put them all over my walls at home!
     One last thing about the Children's site.  Come back to our Home Page and click on Ms. Croft's Blog that says "At the Library...YEAH!"  Right now it's in the center of the page.  That's where you'll find all sorts of information from Michele Croft, our Children's Library Coordinator.  Come next May, she'll be the Children's Librarian, after she receives her library degree from Valdosta State University.  But don't think Norma McKellar is gone...oh! no!  She's only semi-retired and is still with us as Children's Library Assistant.  We could not do without Ms. Norma.
     Well, it's time for me to stop chatting and get back to work.  I'm still looking through our soon-to-be-new-website and checking out all those links.  But for some reason, I keep drifting back to the Children's section again and again.  Can't imagine why....just fun, fun, fun!

No comments: