Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Our silent staff members

     I've thought long and hard about saying this, but I'm going to say it.  We have some silent staff members that many of our patrons don't know about.  And after yesterday, I just felt I had to say something.  Something nice.
     There are men who come to our library and help us keep the place clean, the lights all glowing, the air conditioners working, and the plumbing up to par.  Especially one comes every day.  He cleans the bathrooms (we have more than four...), he mops the floors, he vacuums before and after meetings, he sets up the auditorium and classroom for meetings and programs, and he even goes to the book drop and brings in all the books.  He helps haul books out to the Bookmobile and helps bring them back in. 
     There are things he does for us that I don't even know about.  And he never complains.  He's always willing to do whatever we ask him to do.  And yesterday, when I found the auditorium kitchen full of dirty dishes, the refrigerator full of half-filled bottles, and several bugs I didn't like the looks of, he was there.  He volunteered to wash all those dirty dishes, clean off the dirty counter, and then when the sink leaked, helped clean up after the other silent helpers came and went.
     Sometimes our patrons see these silent staff members (well, I call them that, even though they aren't on our library staff) when they're changing light bulbs or checking the ceilings for leaks after a hard rain.  They try their best to keep our building cool in the summer by working on the air conditioners in the hot weather, and keep our building warm in the winter when many folks from our community just want a warm place to sit.
     I imagine they have lots of skills that, hopefully, will help them get well-earned jobs in the future.  They are carpenters, plumbers, electricians, landscapers, floor and carpet cleaners; they are skilled in a variety of maintenance jobs.
     These silent staff members, these helpers, are the inmates from the Colquitt County Correctional Center and their supervisors.  I know many people would not even want to mention them.  You'll know them when you see them...the inmates are dressed in white, their supervisors in blue.  The large majority of them are extremely polite and well-mannered, always saying to us, "Yes, ma'm." 
     I think I've encountered only one or two who resented the position they were in, but they didn't stay around our library very long at all.  They are black and white, tall and short, thin and gangly.  They are hard workers.  (Well, except for maybe one or two, but like I said they don't stay around very long.)
     So, today, I'm going to say "Thank you, guys!" for all the help you give us.  I know that you're also out there in the community at other facilities like the health department and the labor department and the city hall, etc.  But when you come to our library, I have to say I really appreciate all the help you give us. 
     Of course, I have an ulterior motive in saying some of this.  I realize when you're not here, we are the ones who have to clean the auditorium and classroom for meetings; we are the ones who have to put new toilet paper rolls in the bathrooms; we are the ones who have to stop the water leaks before the maintenance crew gets here or at least try.
    But really, I just felt the need to say thanks.  I appreciate all the help you give us.  There are lots of us who work here who think the same thing.

No comments: