Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Life in the fast lane

     Well, I made it back from vacation.  It feels like I've gone from driving in the slow lane to driving in the fast lane. 
     My vacation was a time of relaxing with a good book, sitting on the front porch in the evening with a nice glass of iced tea, and spending time with my daughter, who came for a two-week visit.  We usually see each other only once a year, so we make the best of it when she's here.
     When I think about what I really like to do (on vacation), there are lots of fun things...simple things, like reading.  She knitted socks for both of us, I crocheted potholders for a friend in Maine; we read books for self-improvement (her) and mysteries (me), ate out occasionally, and did a little traveling to a couple of nearby towns.  Nothing really big like going to a beach house for a week or traveling to the mountain retreats.  Simple things, where we had plenty of time to talk about life and work and friends and family.  It was like driving in the slow lane.
     But Tuesday I came back to work.  And WOW!  There was the fast lane.
     There was our retiring director's staff luncheon at noon, the July displays to start planning, the July 4th signs to design and print (we always close on July 4th) and place around the library, the staff newsletter to finish and print for payday envelopes, the sign-up sheets and staff instructions for the August Janisse Ray writing workshop...well! you get the idea.  There was more, but I won't bore you.
     Everyone has the same problem when they come back from a vacation.  All of our staff here has the same problem.  We have to prepare before we leave and we have to jump right in when we return.  Same thing the world over, I imagine.
     So, today's blog is a short one.  Soon I'll tell you about our new director.  Soon I'll tell you about Janisse Ray's new book and her author's event here at the library.  Soon I'll tell you about our new "OneClickdigital Audiobooks."  Soon I'll tell you how our Summer Reading Program has been bringing in children of all ages. 
     Oh!  There's lots to tell you about.  But that's another blog.

No comments: