Thursday, July 12, 2012

You can learn something new every day at our library

     As long as I've been working here, I've never checked out a video!  But today I surprised myself.
     In the past, I've donated my old VHS movies and even some of my DVDs.  I guess I thought I'd never need to check out one.  Today I got curious about just what we have "in stock" and went to the PINES catalog to look.
     When the main screen came up, I clicked on video recordings (where you find title, author, etc.) and then for the name typed in "all."  The whole list came up.  There was lots to choose from.
     Under VC for video cassettes, I found Dumbo (the Disney version), Starring Pluto and Fifi (another Disney), The Berenstain Bears, Dora the Explorer, and lots more fun movies.
     However, since I no longer have my VHS, I had to look at the DVDs and here's what I found:
Hugo (fantastic movie), The Three Stooges (4 episodes), The Decades Collection (from the TV History Channel), Holy Grail in America (from the TV A&E Channel), The Bucket List, Steven Spielberg's War Horse, Water for Elephants (great book, too), and Dancing at Lughnasa with Meryl Streep.
     Well, being new at this, I thought I'd get first-hand instruction and asked Johnnie, who was at the front desk, just how to go about getting the DVD with Meryl Streep.  She said I needed to have the "call number." 
     To find the "call number," select the DVD/VHS you want and click on it.  The screen will come up with all that movie's information.  Look for the "call number" at the bottom of the screen.  It will say DVD or VC.  Once you have the "call number," go to the video files located in the library's main foyer next to the large, lighted cases, find the "call number" on the plastic sleeve and remove the index card in the sleeve's front pocket.  If there's not an index card there, that means the movie has been checked out.  Of course, you can find that also by looking at the PINES screen.
     Take the index card to the front check-out counter and give it to a staff member.  That person will retrieve the movie (DVD or VHS) and check it out to you.  You can have the movie for a week.
     Now...isn't that easy.  Of course, if my instructions were as clear as mud, our staff will be glad to take you through the process and make it easier.
     Oh, yes, be sure you bring your library card with you.  And while you're at the front desk, pick up one of our brochures titled "Video and DVD Checkout Policy."
     It was so easy, I'm sure I'm going to select something for the next several weekends and enjoy my hot summer inside, in front of the television, watching good movies from the library.
     See there.  You can learn something new every day at our library!!!!!

No comments: