Thursday, January 3, 2013

DITCHING NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS?

     Do you know that there's a specific day for ditching any New Year's Resolutions you might have made on January 1st?   Yep, that's right.
     It's always January 17th!
     There's a sign-up sheet on the table in our Processing Room where staff members can write down a New Year's Resolution they've made, or a couple of them, if they want.  They've been asked to share their resolutions in order to help the rest of us know we're not alone with this resolution thing!  And that we are all there to encourage each other throughout the year.
     One person wrote down they are going to "run a half-marathon by December 31, 2013."  Another person said they are going to "(1) read daily devotions" and "(2) be a better me."  A third person said they are going to "(1) take an inspirational Artist Date every other week" and "(2) smile more."
     Now, those don't sound too hard to do.  But we've all heard on the news lately that most everyone who makes a resolution on January 1st breaks it about the second week in February...and probably never thinks of it thereafter.
     Some people think that for many of us, New Year's resolutions hang heavily over our heads and become a burden, and perhaps they weren't such a good idea after all.
     But some of us have decided to give it another try.
     Lots of people will be working on losing weight.  Lots of people will be working on exercising more.  Lots of people will be trying to give up smoking.
     I've decided I'm going to eat more of my healthy food and less of my "fat" food.  I'm going to take more ten-minute intervals and walk at least 30 minutes a day.  I'm going to be more positive and less negative.  I'm going to smile more.  Yes, I'm that third person you read about above.
     My Artist Dates will be solo events where I take myself some place that will inspire me to continue writing and drawing and enjoying life.  A special time just for me.
     I'm also going to post above my computer, right in a straight line in front of my face, a sign that says, "Remember: going too fast only creates mistakes."  If I remember to slow down just a little, then maybe I'll remember to breathe, and by breathing better I'll remember to smile more.  And, hopefully, make less mistakes and also find that people are smiling more back at me.
     Well, I think that's worth working on.  So, wish me luck.
     I don't feel like I'm going to renig on January 17th and give up my resolutions.  Maybe I should make that a resolution also...don't give up!!!
     I want to encourage you not to give up also, especially if you made a few New Year's Resolutions. But if you get discouraged and feel you just cannot keep one, or two, or whatever, then remember that January 17th is on a Thursday.
     If you're local, somewhere in the Moultrie, Georgia area, stop by our library for encouragement.  We will be holding a Health and Wellness Fair that day in our library.  There will be providers here to encourage you with your weight, blood pressure, body mass index (BMI), nutrition, posture, and lots more.  The time will be from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
     Believe me, we can really make you feel better about keeping those resolutions!!!

No comments: