Thursday, January 17, 2008

February's Spotlight On The Library Calendar

Something different happened to me yesterday. I zoomed around the corner on the way to the office and nearly ran into a small boy, who was standing in front of the library calendar, reading it.
The Spotlight on the Library calendar is in a lighted glass case on the wall just across from the restrooms. At the end of every month, a new calendar is put up with pictures and quotes of famous people, special events and holidays, the book pick of the month from the genealogy and children's librarians, story time and bookmobile calendars, and other items of interest.
The boy looked to be about 11 years old, cute with dark blond hair and brown eyes. He had his hands stuffed in his jean pockets while he stood reading the calendar.
"Got any good ideas about what we can put on the calendar?" I asked.
He shook his head no.
"Do you like the pictures of famous people?" I asked. "Do you know who they are? Well, that was dumb," I continued, "since it says under their pictures they are authors." We both laughed.
"What would you suggest we put on the board sometime?" I asked again.
He shrugged his small shoulders and his hands never left his jean pockets.
"How about toys?" I asked.
"Yeah, that'd be good," he answered.
"What kind of toys?" I was full of questions.
Thoughtfully he answered, "Old toys." Now, that really surprised me!
"What kind of old toys?"
"Like old cars." His eyes got a small sparkle in them.
"And trucks...like the old Tonka trucks...and trains?" He nodded.
"Why old toys?" I asked.
"Because they don't break like the new kinds do." Another surprise!
"What could we put up about old toys?"
Again he was thoughtful. "Like when they were made," he replied.
"And what they were made out of, and maybe where they were made? That sound all right?"
He nodded his head yes and smiled.
"What kind of toys do you play with? Any old ones?" I asked.
"No. I usually play video games."
"Oh," was all I could muster up to reply. But it was obvious he might like to have some old toys.
We stood for a while and looked at the board, then I said," Well, tell you what. I know we're going to have to put up valentines and things that are red for February. But I'll work in old toys, too. How's that sound?"
He grinned and said, "OK." He made nice eye contact.
I raised my eyebrows at him and smiled. "Thanks for your help," I said and turned to walk into the office.
Then I turned back around, looked at him and said, "By the way, what's your name?"
"A.J.," he said with another cute little smile.
So, thanks, A.J., for reading our Spotlight on the Library calendar and making us feel like what we're doing is worthwhile. And even better, thanks for the suggestion. The February calendar will be dedicated to you...and old toys, as well as those valentines.

No comments: