Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Have You "Roamed" Our Place Lately?

One of my friends told me the other day that she really enjoyed reading about my "roamings." That's those things I do occasionally. Some people would call it snooping, I guess. But I really like to look at all the different things we have here at the library. Today I took another trip.
I checked on the plants in the atrium. They were donated by library patrons and some are twenty years old. There's a large pencil cactus way taller than I am, two Norfolk pines that would make great Christmas trees, fern, kalanchoe, a split-leaf philodendron, and pots of ivy.
The genealogy foyer is still being worked on. Tartan-covered chairs line the walls, and the large glass cabinet is waiting to be filled with a special collection. I like to look at Jim Anderson's handcarved wooden plaque on the brick wall outside the Odom Genealogy Library's entrance. It has a tree with a thistle at the very top and the words: "I found a thistle in my family tree." I think that's kind of funny, but I know what it means. Jim Anderson is an internationally recognized master woodcarver and has pieces in collections all over the United States. We are fortunate to have some of his magic
wood here.
The Spotlight on the Library bulletin board, outside the Information Services office, announces the January book picks for genealogy enthusiasts and children. Current calendars are posted for the children's story time and the bookmobile route. On the large calendar, there are pictures of famous people, quotes, and names of holidays and special events.
Then there's the group of small signs stuck to the hallway's white wall. A blue string connects them. They are Library Facts and tell about the word "library," a library's evolution, a modern library, notable libraries, and show the national library symbol.
Just down the hall from the Library Facts is the Levi Willcoxon Memorial Auditorium. You have no idea how many times I walked past the picture of Levi Willcoxon before I finally noticed it hanging there. It's a lovely old-fashioned picture in an oval frame. Mr. Willcoxon's estate provided $100,000 toward the building of the auditorium. And now we have brand new tables in the
auditorium.
The library also houses several collections. In the front foyer there are two collections I especially enjoy. One is of intriguing sea shells and another of library artefacts, such as an old glue pot and an Underwood typewriter (who remembers what a typewriter was?). There are also collections of military paraphernalia, Scottish items, and handmade wooden instruments by Edwin H. Carlton, who was a Moultrie resident. In the reading area, there's also the Talmadge Brazel telephone collection of obsolete phones and related equipment. Mr. Brazel worked for the telephone company in Moultrie for nearly 43 years.
Occasionally, I find something I didn't expect. Near the Children's Library on the left, there's a huge section of paperback books. I don't know why I hadn't noticed them before. There are romance and men's paperbacks with a 25-per-person limit, and a collection of westerns and mysteries to check out.
You should take some time and do a "roaming" of your own. You'll be amazed at all the wonderful things you can find here. Today I found some of them. Wonder what I'll find that's new to me next time.

No comments: