Tuesday, May 20, 2008

There Are Days When They Just Jump Out At Me!

Often there are days when I only have time to run from the office to the main printer, grab my printed piece, and sail back down the hall to the office.
Then there are days when the books in the New Book Section just seem to jump out at me, and I have to stop and pick up whatever it was that called out, saying "Look at me! Look at me!"
Today was one of those days.
The first book that jumped out at me was The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright. It is Christian Fiction and set up for a 7-day loan. It has a pretty little red cover (like an old fashioned red mailbox) with gold letters. But when I opened it to read the inside cover, the first sentence had me hooked. "They died in each other's arms," it said. And the rest of the paragraph confirmed the hook: "But their secret -- the letters -- did not die with them. True love keeps no secrets."
The Wednesday Letters has a powerful message about forgiveness and quietly beckons for readers to start writing their own "Wednesday Letters." But I got my biggest surprise when I turned to the back inside cover of the book. There tucked under the cover was a small ivory envelope with the word Epilogue on the flap, and inside was a hand-printed letter. (Clever idea, huh?) Well, I'll leave that for you to read along with this great book. I think you'll find it will hook you, too.
Another book that just jumped out at me was Carrot Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke. I know for sure it was the thought of a yummy piece of carrot cake that grabbed my attention and made my stomach moan for the comfort food. When I saw it was A Hannah Swensen Mystery with Recipes, I knew it definitely called for me to read it. My goodness, she has a ton of great mysteries to read. Listen to these titles: Key Lime Pie Murder, Cherry Cheesecake Murder, Peach Cobbler Murder, Sugar Cookie Murder. Well, you get the idea! Not only will the Carrot Cake Murder give you a good read, but it has twelve original dessert receipes for you to try. . .things like Black Forest Brownies! This book is a 7-day loan also, but you might want to renew it when the time comes.
The last book that jumped out at me was a reminder that June is just around the corner. A time for weddings! Another small, square book showing a bridal bouquet of fushia, pink and white old fashioned roses, Wedding Blessings by June Cotner is a book of prayers and poems celebrating love, marriage, and anniversaries. Since finding the right words about love for a wedding or anniversary can be difficult, June Cotner has collected perfect selections for the bride, groom, members of the wedding party, and other family and friends to share. This is also a wonderful book to share as a gift for the bride-to-be and others celebrating the union of marriage. And just in time for June ceremonies!
Bet you didn't know that books can just jump out at you and say, "Look at me! Look at me!" They're all here in the New Book Section. Come and get 'em!

No comments: