Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Tuesday, November 4 - Our Opportunity To Vote

I suppose most everyone across this great land has one thing on their mind today...voting.
We were fortunate enough here in Georgia to have early voting, so mine was done the first part of October. Of course, I received several emails today, encouraging me to get out and vote.
In fact, an item of interest caught my attention as I closed out my Yahoo! account. I spotted a blurb telling why we vote on Tuesday. It wasn't really something I'd ever wondered about, until I saw that headline. So, I checked it out.
Why do we vote on Tuesday? It's because we used to be a nation of farmers. Congress chose November because the harvest was over and the weather wouldn't be bad enough to prevent people from traveling to vote. People used to have to travel overnight to their poling location - think "horse." And in order to avoid religious days of rest, Congress chose Tuesday, leaving Monday and Wednesday as travel days. Tuesday was voting and horse-resting days.
And now you know the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey says.
If you don't do anything right today, do this one thing right...go vote. Then sit back tonight and watch television as the making of history rolls out before your eyes.
And be proud that you were part of the making!!!
(Source: Yahoo! News)

No comments: