Thursday, March 19, 2009

Something I've Been Waiting For...Spring!

The weatherman on television this morning told me tomorrow will be the first day of Spring! But, you know what? I've decided today is my beginning of Spring! It's been coming at me for a few weeks now, and I've finally decided I've waited long enough. Today is my first day of Spring despite what the calendar or weatherman
says.
Days like today - sunshine, tall green trees, and bright blue sky - pull me up out of the winter mopes, make me feel energized, and give me hope for a better time to come despite what everyone says about the economy.
Our dogwood trees look like they are covered with cotton, and Moultrie has millions of dogwood trees. Everything is blooming - trees, bushes, ground flowers. I've seen more squirrels and birds around my yard lately than I have in months. Everything is alive and growing and proud to hold its head up.
I've pulled out several Southern Living magazines to check on what to plant in my flower pots. I've looked in several Coastal Living magazines to see how I might re-decorate my front porch. I've even gone so far as to check out a party cookbook to find Springtime recipes for those once-a-month get-togethers we're having in our neighborhood.
And my choice of clothes has even changed. I actually pulled out my white slacks to wear to work and all my Summer tee-shirts, and dusted off my sandals, and washed my candy-red floppy
hat.
I also realized just now that I've been gearing up for Spring with my reading. My latest read is Split Images by Elmore Leonard. The protagonist, a good cop, has taken a vacation in Palm Beach and finds himself still working on a case. The way Leonard described what the guy was seeing and feeling while stretched out on a beach made me feel I was right there with him. That makes me know it won't be long before I'll be heading for a Springtime beach.
But right now at home, I'll be glad just to sit on my front porch in my blue capri pants, blue and white tee-shirt, lime green sandals, and red-framed sunglasses, with a tall glass of lemonade and some munchies, and my book, let the sun warm me up and put some color in my faded winter skin, and enjoy waving at all those people who drive by and wonder who that was waving at them.
Ah! My Spring has arrived!

No comments: