Tuesday, March 31, 2009

There Seem To Be A Lot Of Memoirs Out There

When I opened my New York Times Books Update today, I noticed there were several memoirs listed. Even in one of my favorite magazines I browsed through the other day, there were a rather large number of memoirs. What is it with us and memoirs?
It's not that we're nosey people. Maybe curious is a nicer word to use. But, nevertheless, we do seem to enjoy reading about other people's lives.
Those books listed from the New York Times didn't really appeal to me, however. Maybe they will appeal to you.
A Pocket History of Sex in the Twentieth Century by Jane Vandenburgh is a memoir about her father's suicide, her mother's madness, and her own struggles with love and survival.
My Booky Wook by Russell Brand is his memoir about a child's garden of vices, as well as a relentless ride with a comic mind clearly at the wheel.
Madame Prosecutor by Carla Del Ponte is a memoir of a prosecutor who pursued the perpetrators of atrocities in the war-fractured Balkans. And...
The Sisters Antipodes by Jane Alison is a memoir about what happened to the daughters of two couples who switched
spouses.
It's all great reading, I'm sure (well, maybe I'm not), but I decided to look up memoirs in our PINES catalog, as well as autobiographies, which to me often means memoirs. And I found the following.
God Is My Co-pilot by Robert Lee Scott (GB Scott)
A Family in Skye 1908-1916 by Isobel Macdonald (GB Macdonald)
The Woman Said Yes: Encounters with Life and Death: Memoirs by Jessamyn West (B West)
The Story of My Life by Clarence Darrow (B Darrow)
Rebel Prince Memoirs by Louis Ferdinand (B Ferdinand)
Memoirs of the Life of the Right Honorable Sir James MacKintosh
(G 16.4 MI, II), and...
Memories by Robert Barr (G 16.3 B).
Now, if these don't appeal to you, why not try writing your own memoir? On our shelf I found Writing Your Life Story: Using Life Stories to Develop Writing Skills by Bernard Selling (808.066 S).
After all, what's one more memoir out there. There is sure to be someone who will want to read all about you and it will probably be me.

No comments: