Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Poor With Money, Rich With Books

Are you like me at this time of the year...trying to keep a tight hand on spending? There are no pennies for that yummy flavored coffee from the fast food place. Or for the latest magazine I love from the supermarket!
But there's one thing I will spend my pennies on. That's why I want to tell you about the elephants I bought for a dollar.
I'm a passionate reader and although I may be poor with money, I'm rich with books. Occasionally I'll spend a few pennies to buy a book I've been wanting to read, especially if I see it on a sale shelf and want it in my home bookcase. And that's what I did this morning.
The book I purchased for $1.00 this morning is Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. (See, I told you I'd bought elephants!) I'd heard about it for so long, and so many of our book club members had read it, that when I found it, I knew I had to have it.
Where did I get this book for only $1.00? At a place where books are cheaper than they are at Goodwill! Our public library!
Look at these great books on our sale racks:
*Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani
*Virgin and Martyr, Angels of September, both by Andrew M. Greeley
*Double Shot by Diane Mott Davidson
*Nighttime Is My Time, Kitchen Privileges, both by Mary Higgins Clark
*The Villa, Three Fates, both by Nora Roberts
*L. A. Dead by Stuart Woods
*Blessings by Anna Quindlen
*A Bend in the Road, Message in a Bottle, both by Nicholas Sparks
*The Woods by Harlen Coben
*Slow Waltz in Cedar Bend by Robert James Waller
*Kill Two Birds and Get Stoned by Kinky Friedman, and
*The Bluebird and the Sparrow by Janette Oke.
There are also books by Anne Perry, Tony Hillerman, Jude Deveraux, Jan Karon, Judith Frantz, and Maeve Binchy.
No book is over $1.00. Some hardbacks are for only 25 cents, with paperbacks for only 10 cents.
So, if you're poor with money, but still want to read great books and keep them for your bookcase at home, the Moultrie-Colquitt County Library is the place to shop.
It's where you'll be able to spend those pennies wisely and be rich with books.
(Now don't forget...you can still use your library card for an even greater selection of favorites and new titles to read, plus check out books on CD and large print books.)

No comments: