Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Yep, It's A New Beginning...

...and I said I wasn't going to do the New Year's resolution thing this year, but here I am considering what I should make as one big goal for 2010.
In order to build up my confidence, I decided to check with the rest of the library staff to see if they each had one goal this year. Here's what I found. They want to...
* Quit smoking
* Take care of "me"
* Finish college
* Help others more
* Get organized (two said this)
* Travel more
* Get out more (which is different than traveling)
* Not sweat the small stuff and stress out
* Get to work on time, and
* Be a better "me" (two said this one also).
During my vacation at Christmas time, I found a survey that gave the "top 10 New Year's resolutions" across the United States. They are to...
1. Spend more time with family and friends
2. Fit in fitness
3. Tame the bulge
4. Quit smoking
5. Enjoy life more
6. Quit drinking
7. Get out of debt
8. Learn something new
9. Help others, and
10. Get organized.
It seems most of us have the same intentions. We're thinking of ways to improve ourselves, and we're looking for ways to help
others.
Well, that brought the whole subject right back to me. Am I going to do a major resolution for 2010, or just forget it all? With so many friends having at least one resolution, I knew I'd feel guilty if I didn't have just one.
Since I'm always fighting the weight thing and it's always on my list of "to-do's" no matter what, I am going to join those friends who will work "to be a better me." That includes not only my weight, but my attempts to help others more. As one staff member said, "I want to be more compassionate and kind to others, I want to listen more instead of talk, and I want to be a better me." Can't beat that, can you?
So, it's definitely a new beginning. I hope you've decided upon one new year's resolution for 2010. It shouldn't be too hard to make just one work. Not if you put your all your energy into it. After all, one has to be much easier than ten.
Good luck!

No comments: