Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Some Of Us Are Hung Up On Series

I just love a good series and, as we all stood around the other day talking about books, it's obvious that many of us
do.
For the second time in two years, I'm reading (or should I say re-reading?) Alexander McCall Smith's series The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. At the same time, I'm reading the Lumby series by Gail Fraser. I had already worked my way through the Monica Ferris needlework mysteries and the Laura Childs tea shop mysteries, and even Patricia Sprinkle's genealogy series. And, just today, our director told me about the Harmony books by Phil Gulley...so I put that on my list to read.
Some of my friends have read Jan Karon's Mitford series, and one of the ladies in our "Happy Bookers" reading group is reading about Mrs. Jeffries and the Inspector in Emily Brightwell's Victorian mysteries.
There are so many series to read and often a large number of books in each series.
M.C. Beaton has two series: one about Hamish Macbeth (all titles beginning with Death of a ...) and another about Agatha Raisin (which all begin with Agatha Raisin and ...). There are 26 books in the Macbeth series and 20 in the Raisin series.
In fact, people are often encouraged to check out more than one book in order to read them in chronological order. As they begin reading the last one they have, they order the next few in the series. Keeps the reading going and makes for a happy reader.
I suppose the next series I'm going to read will be all the Elm Creek Quilts books (there are 16 of them) by Jennifer Chiaverini.
Now, don't think we are leaving the guys out of reading series, because we aren't.
James Patterson has the Alex Cross books (and there are 16), while James Rollins has the Sigma Force (only 6 books, but I bet there'll be more). And Vince Flynn writes about Mitch Rapp (10 books) and the Wheel of Time (12 of them) series is written by Robert Jordan.
With the weather as lousy as it's been lately in many parts of the States, including here, it seems like this is a very good time to read a series. Pick one, there are so many to chose from, and sit back with a good cup of hot tea and read, read, read.

No comments: