Tuesday, August 31, 2010

We're going to purchase more books!

Our director gave me the most wonderful information this morning.
"I have something for your blog," she said.
She knows I'm always looking for interesting things for the blog.
"We got a letter yesterday," she continued. "It said the letter writer's late cousin was an avid reader and frequent visitor to the Moultrie-Colquitt County Library. In her will she requested that the library receive a check for $1,000 to purchase all of the Ann McCaffrey P.E.R.N. series (aka Dragonriders of Pern) and any mysteries of our
choice."
My mouth dropped open. Wow! A thousand dollars! And for the Ann McCaffrey fantasy series and any mysteries of our choice!
In this economically-difficult time for libraries, a thousand dollars seems like a lot of money.
My brain immediately thought of all the wonderful little mystery series I like to read and all the spellbinding big mysteries we would like to purchase.
I saw the letter. I noticed the writer's last sentence: "Thank you for your kindness to my cousin...."
Sometimes those of us working at the library feel no one pays any attention to us, that we're just doing our jobs, people come and go and we're just doing our
jobs.
We never know when someone feels we've made their day, their life, a little more pleasant, a little more worthwhile, until someone says thank-you to us.
We're glad the writer's late cousin found the Moultrie-Colquitt County Library worthy of her contribution. I believe she knows we are sincerely thankful for her kindness.

No comments: