Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Why do you like the library?

I took a little walk through the library the other day and saw all the people who were visiting. It didn't take long for me to wonder what they like about our library, so I decided to take a small survey.
In the Willcoxon Auditorium two ladies were deep in discussion. I politely asked if I could intrude and ask a quick question. They politely told me yes. One lady said she liked the library because, "You allow us the space to have our meetings for the Colquitt County Retired Educators." The other lady said, "And because the library has a typewriter! And a paper cutter, too, and you let us use them." I never thought we're just about out of typewriters in this world. Two happy patrons.
In the foyer of the Odom Genealogical Library, I introduced myself to a young woman sitting on one of our three benches and asked why she liked the library. "It's quiet and easy to concentrate out here on the benches," she said. When I asked if she found it hard to concentrate in the adult reading area, she said no; she just liked it better on the foyer benches where she could see the plants in the atrium. Another happy patron.
In the genealogy library, I saw a woman who comes to the library every day to work on her genealogical projects. I knew why she liked the library.
But there was also a man sitting at a nearby table with books spread before him, the concentration line deep between his eyes. I quietly introduced myself and asked if he would tell me why he likes the library. He said, "The library." He explained he drives from Bridgeboro, about 25 miles away, only once a month. Since he didn't have the time to come more often, he spends about four or five hours each time on his research. He had a big smile. A happy
patron!
In the public library I saw a tiny woman standing at the VHS-DVD counter. When I asked her my question, she said she liked the old movies, like the classics that you can't get at the video stores. She said she homeschooled her children and the entire family liked to watch the old movies together in the evenings. She especially liked the fact that the movies were free with her library card. Ah! Another happy
patron!
As I turned to go back to the office, I noticed a woman sitting on one of the two couches in the adult reading area. She was reading a magazine. When I asked her why she liked the library, she said she liked the ladies at the circulation counter, because they were so helpful in finding her the books she wanted to read. She said she comes every day to the library, almost every week, with her boyfriend and, while he works at a computer, she sits and reads. She gave me a big smile also. Need I say "happy
patron"?
I talked with only five people. They all liked the library. They didn't just pop in and out; they stayed for a while.
Do you like the library? Do you visit often? Do you have a library card?
September is National Library Card Sign-up Month. Why not get a library card if you don't have one and let us know why you like the library.

No comments: