Thursday, September 23, 2010

My library is a learning place...

...especially for me!
Yesterday my coworker and I talked about some statistics we read from a seminar for library workers. Some of those stats surprised me.
When the statistics from a survey taken at another library in another state were compiled, here's what they found:
That more people came to the library alone than as a couple or family.
That most people (those who didn't come to use the computers) stayed at the library for only a short period of time (many for only about ten minutes).
That the audio-visuals accounted for about one-third of the circulating items, and ages 14 to 24 were the ones drawn to the AVs.
That about two-thirds of the patrons used the library more for reading and conversations than anything else.
That about 70% of the people checked out books and about 51% checked out AVs.
Well, there were more statistics, but I won't go into them.
It's just that the longer I work here at the Moultrie-Colquitt County Library, the more things I learn about our patrons also.
For instance, the number of people who stop by the returned-books cart, possibly to see what other people have been reading that might be interesting to them.
The number of children who come to the Children's Library during story time from all the Pre-K schools and facilities. This is the biggest children's story time facility in
town.
The number of homeschooled children who come to the library with their mothers, who are also their teachers. Some come and sit around the tables in the reading area to work on their homework.
It surprises me how many of our books on the displays are checked out. The books must seem more appealing if they are right there in front of everyone and not on the bookshelves.
It surprises me how fast our bookmarks disappear, the ones that we make up each month for special events.
And the most recent service we are providing...the MCCLS Friends Recommendations...well, the books are just disappearing off that shelf like crazy!
We're always working on ways to keep our patrons' interest in the library. We want each person coming through our doors to like what they see, feel comfortable in finding what they want, and enjoy staying for a while (especially more than ten minutes!).
And me...well, I want my library to be a learning place for you, too. We are loaded with good stuff! Come and stay for a while, make yourself comfortable, and have a great learning experience.

No comments: