Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Does your teen have Facebook depression?

     Did you hear that on the news this morning?  I did.  And, I must admit, it caught me off guard and I had to laugh a little.  Geez!  Another kind of depression identified.  I suppose next it will be Twitter or Tweets depression.
     Even on the way to work this morning, I kept thinking about Facebook depression.  By the time I reached work, I felt a memoir coming on.
     What kind of depression did my age-group have when we were growing up?  Surely, we had depression also.  I mean, it seems every generation had some kind of named depression.
     Did we have comic book depression or hide-and-seek depression?  Did we have bicycle depression or roller skate depression? 
     I remember when my Daddy brought home our first television, a console black and white jobby.  Looked pretty good to us, but I don't remember getting depressed when my Mother said that I couldn't watch it until I got my homework or cleaned my room.  And I don't remember getting depressed if I watched it too much.  Actually, my Mother would not have let me watch it too much!
     I also remember the first time I had to use a computer.  A group of us took lessons at the local high school and WordPerfect was all the rage.  I know we've come a long way and that I wasn't a teenager when I first learned to use one, but if I had been a teen, would I have had computer depression if I couldn't use it OR if I used it all the time (and I mean ALL the time)?
     Sooo, thinking back to my teenage years, I don't remember having time to be depressed about something.  Maybe that was just me or whatever was going on in my family or with my friends.  But I seem to remember being extremely busy with school work, the science club, the concert choir, going to movies, riding our bikes, and even roller skating with friends on the concrete streets.  And it didn't matter if we were teenagers, we still liked to play hide-and-seek in the neighborhood and go to the teen center on Friday evenings and dance.
     Of course, there's always been a library in my life.  When I was growing up, we didn't have to worry about going to the library to use the computers or check out the audio books.  There weren't any.  But we went to all the programs at the library for both the little kids (where we helped), for the teens (special ones for us), and for the adults (which were geared to include the teens, too).  There were tons of books we could check out, and places to sit and do homework, even with our friends, if we were quiet.  Often there would be a movie night, maybe a travel show or a documentary of some type.  But there was always something going on at the library.
     I suppose what I'm realizing is that we were social networking in the flesh.  We didn't have our faces and fingers stuck to some keyboard as we sat in one place or as we walked with our heads down and our eyes concentrating on a small screen held in our hands.  We were people-oriented in the flesh.  And we were so busy with a great many things in our lives that had nothing to do with a wonderful invention like Facebook.
     I have nothing against Facebook or any other modern device that helps us communicate.  It's just a shame that there's now such a thing as Facebook depression for our teens.  What are we doing to ourselves?

2 comments:

Library Marketing Design said...

Yeah! I never heard of "Library Depression Syndrome" either (for using it too much or too little!).

Kris... farm snippet writer said...

I think I get book depression...when I don't have enough of them to read. I couldn't live without them!