Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spring cleaning

     I suppose there's no getting away from it.  Spring is here and with it comes that hated chore of spring cleaning.
     Today when I came to work Mitchell, our janitor, was buffing the long, white-wall hallway.  Yesterday he had the spray and dust cloth and was cleaning the dust off the tops of the lighted cases in the front foyer.  The library ladies have been straightening the many stacks of donated magazines and Keva is always shelving the returned books.  I must admit, she does some cleaning as she puts away the children's books...she wipes them all down with a special book cleaner, removing all those sticky little fingerprints.
     Just when I thought I might work in the office and get the April calendar ready to post on the lighted bulletin board outside the door, I decided to take a quick peak in one of the old Good Housekeeping magazines I'd brought back to the office.  Should not have done that!
     What to my wandering eyes should appear, but a whole page titled "Light Housekeeping."  Ugh!  Spring cleaning again!  But there was some inspiration.  Such as this little poem from Rhoda Pellor:
         Shower Power
     I know just how to make it rain,
     And never even tax my brain.
     I don't use magic from afar,
     Just simply start to wax my car.

And then there's the poem by May Richstone:
          Spring Cleaning
     That cluttered attic of ours
     Is hopeless when we see
     Every bit of clutter
     As a precious memory!

But the one that really inspires spring cleaning is by Rosemarie Williamson:
          Ode to the Outdoors
     When Nature features
          GREEN-UP time -
     It's human creatures'
          CLEAN-UP time!

     What can I say?  Now that I've looked around this office, I see I have a job to do.  Mitchell is still buffing the floor.  That must be my inspiration to get this office cleaned up enough to let him clean the floor also.  Then maybe my spring cleaning will be finished!
(Source:  Good Housekeeping, April 1988)

1 comment:

Kris... farm snippet writer said...

I like the poem about memories...so true. I like to spring clean for that reason. And, also just to get organized and feel all fresh and ready to go again. I bet your library smells and looks SO good now!