Thursday, February 23, 2012

All doom and gloom...not so!

     That was the first thing he said to me when he walked in the door.
     "I've been reading your blog and it's just all doom and gloom lately.  Aren't y'all doing anything fun anymore?"
     He caught me totally off-guard, even though I saw him walking toward our office.  I have a "sneaky" mirror hanging just behind my computer monitor.  I can see out into the hallway and watch all the goings-on.
     "What do you mean...doom and gloom?"
     "Well, you been writing about all that budget stuff and having no money.  You used to write about the fun stuff y'all do around here."
     His old floppy hat's brim was pulled down over his eyebrows, but his squinty little eyes had a sparkle to them.  I knew he'd stopped by to hassle me all in fun.
     "You just sit yourself down right there in that chair and let me tell you what we have going on," I said.  "You'll see it's not all doom and gloom around here."
     And this is what I told him about.
     I wish you could see the number of people that have been coming here lately for the Prime Time programs every Thursday evening.  This is a program, for which we received a Federal grant, that is aimed at at-risk children who are having problems with reading or families that are economically deprived.  They are provided a light meal and a program with door prizes and books.  Each program lasts for about two hours and the meetings cover a six-week period.  They have between 40 and 60  people at each meeting.  Led by Michele Croft, the Children's Library Coordinator, the program includes Dr. Cindy Hall from ABAC as the Scholar and Norma McKellar, our Children's Library Assistant, as the Storyteller.  Talk about fun!!!  These people are provided a fun atmosphere in which learning is at its highest peak.  And there's the possiblity of the program expanding into other community areas.
     Since the Library has an adult book club, I invited my friend to the Novel Destinations Book Club meeting in March.  The book club meets every second Tuesday in the month, except May and December (the reasons being an abundance of school events in May and Christmas events in December).  On March 13, Richard and Jane Sheldon will give a program about the Holy Land, starting at 6:30 p.m. in the Library auditorium.  If you've ever wished you could visit the Holy Land and just didn't have a way to do it, then everyone's invited to join us in this travel.
     I had to tell my friend about us getting so excited the other day that we came up with another part of our Home Front series.  In March we will begin filming "Back in the Day" with our favorite videographer Beau Sherman.  Several local women will talk about sewing family clothes, patterns, and how times have changed.  They'll even bring some interesting family items to share and talk about.  And when Beau is finished with it, the film will be available to show on our local cablevision.
     Something else we're getting ready for is our "Celebration of Women's History Month."  The theme from the 1970s  Helen Reddy tune "I Am Woman" will resonate at this year's Women's History Month activities all throughout Georgia.  We're joining in this celebration with displays of women's pictures, personal items, and books by women authors. The Georgia Women of Achievement, an organization that recognizes and honors women native to or clearly identified with the State of Georgia, who have made extraordinary contributions within their fields of endeavor and who will inspire future generations to utilize their own talents, will induct three Georgia women this year.  Look for our display about Sarah Randolph Bailey, Ethel Harpst, and Beaulah Rucker Oliver.  Learn about the contributions these Georgia women have made in the areas of education and helping children.
     Of course, my friend and I continued to chat about things going on around the library.
     "You didn't come here just to hassle me, did you?" I asked.
     He rose from the chair, rearranged his old floppy hat, and opened the door. 
     He stood there for a while before he said, "You know, everyone around here ought to be damn proud to have this library here.  They ought to just come sit up here for a while and see what y'all do during the day.  Wonder what everyone would do if this library wasn't here?"
     "I've wondered the same thing," I said.
     He smiled his little lop-sided smile; his eyes squinted again and sparkled.
     "I'll see you again," he said.  "Thanks for the cheering up."

1 comment:

Kris... farm snippet writer said...

You really do have a lot of programs going on! I love the Home Front series idea. And, that song is perfect for the strong women of the world month! Keep those programs coming.