Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Mother's Day Tribute

     I would imagine the majority of us know that Sunday is Mother's Day.  But I wonder, also, how many people actually think about what Mother's Day means.
     Wikipedia says that Mother's Day is commonly celebrated in many countries, usually in March, April or May.  It also says, "Celebrations of mothers and motherhood occur throughout the world; many of these can be traced back to ancient festivals....  However, the modern holiday is a US modern invention and it is not related to these celebrations...."
     Well.  Isn't that interesting?  Our holiday is a "modern invention."  Why am I not surprised.
     For many years as Mother's Day approaches, my children prepare and send gifts.  Sometimes flowers or small gifts, sometimes big gifts, sometimes just cards and phone calls.  I stress them, I'm sure, because my birthday is also in May.  That makes me remember my brother, who had a December 9th birthday and my folks always gave him one of his Christmas presents.  I always felt sorry for him.
     For another many years, I've always wondered how I would celebrate Mother's Day with my mother if she were still alive.  And that makes me remember that our church always gave women whose mothers were living a red rose; those whose mothers were not living received a white rose.  I must admit, I hated that white rose.
     This Mother's Day will find all my children living in other states, but we will keep in touch by phone, cards, and letters.  Maybe even small gifts.
     And a dear friend I claim as an adopted son has invited me out to dinner.  A special event.
     But, you know, somewhere during the day I know it will creep into my mind again...what would I be doing with my mother if she were still alive.
     Celebrations in other countries, ancient festivals as compared to our "modern invention," must be all-day celebrations.  At least, that's what I imagine.  What do they do?  I'm sure there's lots of food, prepared by members of the family, arranged in a large place of sharing...a kitchen, a dining room, a large yard.  Mama probably is not allowed to cook, but given the chair of honor, maybe with a soft pillow.  She's probably given a wonderful drink to sip.  How do they decorate?  What songs do they sing?  What gifts do they bring?
     If they are a country that celebrates Mother's Day and are war-torn, how will they be celebrating this year?  Pulling together their small means, hard-to-obtain food, sitting together and glad they are together?  I don't know.  I can't imagine.
     But I know this.  If my mother were still here with me, I don't think I would be able to leave her side.  I would want to hug her, hold her hand, give her little kisses, talk to her, let her tell me about her early life, find out anything I could about how she feels in this day and age.  I would feel so blessed to just be in her presence, just to look at her face, see her smile, hear her voice.
     I hope this Sunday, May 13th, here in the United States, you'll take the time to think about what Mother's Day really means.  And if she's still in your life, pay a special tribute to her.  Make this modern invention of ours something special for her.  Let her know what you think Mother's Day really means.

 

2 comments:

Kris... farm snippet writer said...

Boy, what you would do with your mama is the same I'd do with my mama. Must run in the family! I'm looking forward to our visit and also visiting your library. Maybe we can see what great free craft classes are at Doerun too. Great idea those!

Kris... farm snippet writer said...

Boy, what you would do with your mama is the same I'd do with my mama. Must run in the family! I'm looking forward to our visit and also visiting your library. Maybe we can see what great free craft classes are at Doerun too. Great idea those!