Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Something for the guys, he said

     Remember my "doom and gloom" friend?  I've told you about him a couple of times.  Well, he caught me in Winn-Dixie the other day (for those of you who don't know, Winn-Dixie is a grocery store chain).
     "You still writing that thing for the library?" he asked after tapping me on the shoulder.
     "You mean the blog?" I asked back.  "By the way, hello," I added.
     "Yeah, that blod.  Whatever."  (Did you catch that?  "The blod.")
     "I sure am.  You have any suggestions for it?"
     Today he had on his Old Poop's Hat (like Henry Fonda wore in On Golden Pond), his fishing vest, Army-green pants with 100 pockets, and loafers without socks.  I like my "doom and gloom" friend.  He makes me conjur up all kinds of stories to write.
     "Yeah.  Why don't you do something for the guys?" he said.  (He would never admit it, but apparently he reads it.)
     I had to admit, I don't usually do something specific for women or men.  Children, sometimes.  But he was right.  I need to do something for the guys.  I guess.
     "OK," I said.  "What would you like me to do?"
     Now, "doom and gloom" never really smiles, but this time I saw a slight twinkle in his squinted eyes and maybe a little uplift of the right side of his mouth.
     "You need to do something about grilling, fishing, and golfing."
     "OK," I said again.  "You got it."
     He didn't say a thing, not thank you or even bye.  Just walked away.
     So, today I'm telling you we have books here in the library about grilling, fishing, and golfing.  Maybe even an Audio, too.  And I'm going to list them here.  Right now.  Hopefully, "doom and gloom" will say he read it, even if he doesn't say thank you or bye.
Grilling
     *  Grilling by John Phillip Carroll (641.5C)
     *  Smoke and Spice by Cheryl Alters Jamison (641.7J)
     *  Fresh and Simple: 5 o'clock grill by Kristi M. Thomas (641.5F)
     I don't think he'd want to read Thou Shalt Not Grill by Tamar Myers (M-Myers) or The Grilling Season by Diane Mott Davidson (Audio M-Davidson), but you never know.
Fishing
     *  Book of Fishing by Esquire (799.1E)
     *  Tactics on Trout by Ray Ovington (799.1O)
     *  Bent Poles and Tight Lines by Charles E. Salter (799.1S)
     And he probably wouldn't want to read Taking Care of Your Fish by Joyce Pope (J597P-JUV) or The Carp in Your Bathtub by Barbara Cohen (EC JUV), but you never know.  He has grandkids.
Golfing
     *  The Golfer's Home Companion by Robin McMillan (796.352M)
     *  Golf Swing Basics by Oliver Heuler (796.352H)
     *  Book for Senior Golfers by Mead Dodd (796.352D).
     Now, he might really like to read The Official Golf Lover's Joke Book by Larry Wilde (808.7W YA), but probably not Final Round by William Bernhardt (F-Bernhardt) or The Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie (M-Christie), but you never know.
     Wonder what he'll say to me the next time we meet?  I have to admit he does make me think about what goes on the blog...or blod...or whatever.

5 comments:

Library Marketing Design said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Library Marketing Design said...

Good stuff! (I would have considered slipping in the additional category of "conversational etiquette" too... just for grins).

Bookworm said...

You know, my "doom and gloom" friend has even talked to me about why no one sends comments to me about my "blods." He wonders if anyone reads them. So, that might be another thing I have to write about. He does make me think! Thanks for your comment.

Aileen said...

You have a really neat way of describing the "characters" i your life and our library! I always enjoy your blogs. And yes, people do read your blog even if we do not comment very often!

Aileen said...

You have a really neat way of describing the "characters" i your life and our library! I always enjoy your blogs. And yes, people do read your blog even if we do not comment very often!