Wednesday, August 29, 2012

OUR VOLUNTEERS ARE SO NICE

     We don't praise our volunteers enough, do we?  Sometimes we don't even think about them until something really nice happens.  And that's a shame.  We need to think of our volunteers all the time and praise them all the time...especially to their faces.
     I say this because two things happened today to me and I began to think about volunteers in a different way.
     The first happening occurred as I was pulling books to place in one of our displays.  I was roaming through the bookshelves and a lovely, little lady said to me, "Your library has the best books of all the libraries I go to." 
     Of course, I said thank you.  But she continued as she rearranged some of the shelved books into alphabetical order under one author's name.  "You have your labels all the same and they're easy to read.  I go to two other libraries, too, but they don't do that.  In fact, it's rather hard to find the books I really want."
     Again, I said thank you, and we took a little time to talk about our recent shelver, who had moved to another job.  I mentioned how we really missed her and noticed the lady was still working with the books, rearranging them and lining them up straight on the shelves.  (Thanks, Miss Shirley.)
     When I went to the front counter, I told one of our staff members about the "volunteer" who really liked our library.  You just can't praise a person like that enough.
     Then, in the afternoon, another volunteer appeared. 
     This woman approached me as I was working with the lighted cases display.  She leaned toward me and talked over the case:  "Do you work here?" she asked. 
     When I said I did, she said, "Would it be all right if I clean that little table over there where the big plant is?"
      I looked and I could see what she meant.  The table has this huge, "many-leaved, many-limbed" plant in a big clay flower pot setting on it.  And where it's been watered so many times and run over the rim of the clay saucer, the table was stained and dusty.
      "Are you sure you want to do that?" I asked.
     "Oh, I don't mind at all.  I'll just get some wet paper towels and clean it off."  She smiled and walked way.  And I continued my display work and marveled at this wonderful volunteer.
     Once again, I went to the front counter and told the staff member about this volunteer, and she was able to tell me the volunteer's name.  (So, I can say thanks, Miss Joyce.)
     Of course, I could tell you the last names of the volunteers, but they might not want their last names mentioned.  I didn't ask them.
      Instead, I want to say to ALL our volunteers, whether they are our Friends of the Library volunteers, who come in and help shelve books (I know who you are, Angie), or whether they are the silent angels that appear out of nowhere to do something, we DO so appreciate you and all you do.  We welcome your help and are so glad that you take the time to help shelve books, or straighten them, or wipe off our dusty tables. 
     You just make our days bright!
     

No comments: