Thursday, August 16, 2012

"Where you been?" he asked

     That's what he said.  "Where you been?"
     I knew the minute I glanced into the little mirror I keep on my desk, the one that shows me who is coming toward my door behind my back, that I was in for it.  My favorite critic and advisor tapped on the door, then poked his head in and said, "Where you been?"
     "I've been right here," I said.
     "Well, you haven't been doing your blod!"
     A long time ago, my friend and I had a discussion about it not being a blod, that it's really a blog, but it didn't make much of an impression on him.
     "I know," I said.  "Just been too busy doing other things."
     He stepped over to my the file cabinet next to my computer, leaned on it and stared at what I was working on. 
     "So, what's kept you so busy you can't write about what's going on here?  How're we supposed to know what's going on in this place if you don't write about it in the blod?  I mean, I read it ever-day, but if you can't write it, how'm I gonna read it?"  That was a mild form of chastisement, right?
     "I'm sorry," I said.  "I'll try to do better and get something done today.  OK?"
     He didn't look much happier, but he nodded his head at me and left.  I watched in my mirror as he walked away from the office.  Then he stopped at the end of the hallway and looked back, shaking his head at me.
     So, I'm here today, compliments of my friend, to tell you that we have some upcoming events you will be interested in.  Such as:
  • Sunbelt Writers will hold their monthly meeting in the auditorium on Saturday, August 18, with a program by Sandra Giles of Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College in Tifton.  Ms. Giles will talk about creative nonfiction and how to make memoirs more than just memories.
  • On Sunday, August 19, a "drop-in" retirement reception will be held for past-library-director Melody S. Jenkins.  Ms. Jenkins held the post for 37 years and will be honored at the reception held by the MCCLS Friends and the Junior Woman's Club of Moultrie.  The community is invited to attend.  Time is from 2 to 4 p.m. in the library's reading area.  Refreshments will be served.
  • The MCCLS Friends will meet on Monday, August 20, in the auditorium at 6 p.m.  This group has several things they are working on.  They are the advocates for the library and are presently involved in Melody's retirement party and a play-fundraiser for the library.  For more information about being a Friend of the Library, call the library or pick up a Friends' brochure in the library foyer.
  • It is always necessary to let the public know when the library is closed and one of those times is coming up.  On Monday, September 3, the library will be closed for Labor Day, but opening again on Tuesday the 4th.  That includes the Odom Genealogical Library.  The Doerun Library will be closed for the same holiday and opening on Tuesday at 2 p.m.
  • There will be a combined meeting of the library Boards in September.  The Odom Genealogical Library Board and the MCC Library Board will meet on Monday, September 10, at 4 p.m. due to the director being out of town on Thursday the 13th, when the MCC Library Board would normally meet.  New library director Holly Phillips will present "facts and figures" at the meeting.
  • On Tuesday, September 11, at 6:30 p.m. you'll find the Library Book Club for Adults meeting in the auditorium.  At the last meeting there were 11 women present to share snacks and lemonade and talk about the books they read during August.  Books to be read for the September meeting will be "Night Time Adventures" about mysteries and detective stories.  All adults with a reading passion are encouraged to join in the fun.
  • Constitution Week is September 17 through 23.  Plans call for a display to be assembled on the round table in the library's front foyer by members of the John Benning Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.  The week-long celebration commemorates the adoption of the U. S. Constitution.
  • Friday, September 21, at 7 p.m., the community will enjoy the first "Mystery @ the Library," presented by the MCCLS Friends as a fundraiser.  Tickets for $25 will include admission, desserts and gourmet coffee and tea, as well as participation in trying to solve the crime and become the winner of big prizes.  Tickets will be on sale at the library and from members of the Friends of the Library.  
  • Other events planned at the library include September's National Library Card Sign-up Month and Banned Books Week during September 30 through October 6.
  • Of course, there are various displays around the library to encourage you to pick up a book and read, or listen to an audiobook, or watch a good movie on one of our DVDs.
      I wondered after I wrote this if my friendly critic/advisor would approve of what I'd written.  If nothing else, it should prove to him that we have lots going on here at the Moultrie-Colquitt County Library.  But I'm sure he'll be back in to let me know what he thinks.  Just got to love that fella!

No comments: