Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I Suppose You Know The Sunbelt Expo Is Here!

I remember the first time I went. It was an overwhelming event. I'd never seen so many people roaming around a flat piece of land in all my life!
We got there early and left late. We roamed around looking for the food booth where my friend's granddaughter was working. Never did find it! And when I got home, I felt as if my feet were worn to nubs! But I did learn a lot.
Later I was amazed to find out how many people checked out our city. They visited the downtown shops, ate at all the restaurants, and even checked out our library. (Of course, that's the first place I visit when going to a new town.)
For those of you who don't know, the Sunbelt Ag Expo's permanent home sits on 1680 acres, four miles southeast of U.S. Highway 319 (also called Veteran's Parkway and some other route numbers) on Highway 133 near Moultrie. Those of us who live here in Moultrie say the event is held at Spence Field on the Spence Field Highway (or the highway to Valdosta or some of those other route numbers).
This year the Expo is October 16 through 18. The kids are out of school and running around the grounds, the old-timers are in their electric buggies, and visitors as well as exhibitors are camping out on the grounds in their RVs. It's like a big family reunion. Except most of the people who are attending are very serious about why they are there.
If you've never been to the Expo, you're in for a treat. You're going to see things you may not see anywhere else except the Expo. Here's just a sample:
  • Cow milking contest
  • Tire auction
  • Stockdog trials
  • Hunting and fishing demonstrations
  • Seminars on beef cattle, hay and forage, dairy, aquaculture and pond management, alpaca, goat and sheep, poultry and equine.

There are all kinds of tractors and machinery, music, kids' events, cooking shows, giveaways and prizes. They hold a Young Farmer event and even select the Farmer of the Year. Oh, I can't begin to name it all. Like I said, if you've never been, you should go at least one time! And be sure to wear your easiest-walking shoes, take an umbrella (in case of sun or rain), and be prepared to walk, walk, walk! You're going to have a really great time. And you'll definitely learn something! It's like one great big library book!

No comments: