Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I'm A Sucker For A Great Title

Yesterday I sat in the reading area at one of the long tables and folded some brochures. I watched people come in and out of the library. Some people came to bring books back and stayed long enough to check out a few more. A few people came in to sit on the couch and read or settle down in one of the soft chairs. I folded and watched. No one looked at the sale books.
When I finished with the brochures, I lingered and looked through one of the many magazines we have on the slant-shelves. For some reason, I just knew there was a something in the reading area to tell you about, but I didn't find it until I walked past the discarded books that are for sale.
You know about our sale books, don't you? They're on the other side of the counter where the videos are located in the front lobby. They're on the low shelves that face the reading area. Of course, I had to stop and look. And that's where I found the "something" to tell
you.
I'm a sucker for a great title - doesn't matter if it's a book, magazine, movie, or whatever. There are books on those shelves that will make you want to read them simply because of their great titles.
How about My Mother the Arsonist & Other Toasty Tales? It's by Dave Wood, a books editor of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, who also wrote a weekly column for Grit, a 106-year-old family newspaper. Now, doesn't that sound like a fun book?
And they didn't stop there. I found:
* I Love You, I Hate You, Drop Dead by Artie Shaw
* Thursday, the Rabbi Walked Out by Harry Kemelman (He has other Rabbi books, also.)
* Blue Skies, No Candy by Gael Greene
* Stray Kat Waltz by Karen Kijewski
* Feather on the Moon by Phyllis A. Whitney
* Apple to the Core by Marc Lovell (This is a Crime Club selection.) and --
* Weirdos, Winos and Defrocked Priests by Ludlow Porch, who is a radio talk show host in Atlanta.
The nice part about these books are that they are CHEAP! Maybe I should have said really affordable. You can find a good read among these books for only 25 cents to $1.00! And if these great titles don't make you want to read one, come on up to the Moultrie-Colquitt County Library and scan the shelves for yourself. I just bet you'll find one you like! (Oh, the one I took home was called Sticks and Scones.)

No comments: