Thursday, October 23, 2008

Time For A Few Memories And A Lot Of Laughter

It always amazes me how hard we work to be different from each other. And yet, we prove to ourselves day after day that we are all so much alike.
For instance, the other day some of us were talking about the children who visit, how wide-eyed they are while walking down the long hallway to the Children's Library, how excited they are when they sit down to listen to Miss Norma's stories, and how they act in general. Occasionally, of course, we do have a youngster who wants to be somewhere else, and fast!
That led some of us to talk about things that our mothers never would have let us do as kids. And that gave us a few memories and a lot of laughter.
Just recently, we talked about some of the things our mothers taught us, which reminded me of an email I once received. Maybe your mother taught you some of these things.
My mother taught me about irony. You keep crying, and I'm gonna give you something to cry about.
My mother taught me about the weather. Your room looks like a tornado went through it.
My mother taught me about wisdom. When you get to be my age, you'll understand.
My mother taught me about medical science. If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they're going to stick that way.
My mother taught me about logic. Because I said so...that's why!
She taught me about foresight. Be sure you're wearing clean underwear in case you get in an accident.
She taught me about behavior modification. Stop acting like your father!
She taught me about my roots. Shut that door! You weren't born in a barn.
She taught me about anticipation. Just wait till we get home.
And my mother taught me about stamina. You're going to sit there until you clean your plate.
If she didn't say that, then she said, Shut your mouth and eat your supper. (Really hard to do!)
And she taught me about horror. One of these days you're going to have kids and then you'll know what I had to go through. That'll be my payback.
Now, do you remember your mother saying any of those words to you? Mine certainly did. And I bet your mother did too.
So, see how much we're alike. Not much difference at all.
And I have to admit, my mother was right. There's not a day that I don't wish she was here to see how her payback is working out. I guarantee you, it would be a time for a lot of laughter.

No comments: