Tuesday, October 28, 2008

It's That Season Again

When I came to work this morning, it was what we consider cold here in South Georgia. And it was cold in the office as I cranked up this little computer.
You know how you think of a word, and that word makes you think of another word. I did that while sitting in my cold office. I know it will warm up a little later, but sitting at the computer with cold fingers caused my chain-reaction of words.
Cold made me think of winter. Winter did not make me think of Christmas. Instead, it made me think of flu. Yep, flu season is upon us. I've already talked with a couple of people who have been "laid low" with the flu, and it's only October.
One of the things we do here at the Moultrie-Colquitt County Library is help the public be aware of various opportunities they have available to them in our city, county and state. We have a long counter in front of the Fiction Section covered with pamphlets and brochures that tell about all kinds of help. But the other day when I passed by the counter, I didn't see a single brochure telling about the flu.
As a library here in Georgia, we have a great opportunity to partner with a group called Partnership for Health and Accountability, which also works with the Georgia Hospital Association to publish health facts. So, I went to the PHA/GHA website and obtained some information to make a brochure. Now, our patrons can pick up the brochure titled "What Is The Flu?" A stack of the brochures can be found on a small round table behind the Directional Sign in the front lobby, as well as on the long counter in front of the Fiction
Section.
The brochure will tell you what Influenza or "the flu" is, who can get it, and how you can tell if it's really the flu or just a cold. The brochure also names the symptoms, tells you what you should do, and how the doctor treats the flu. And it gives you online resources if you're interested in finding out more about seasonal influenza.
It's our pleasure to be able to provide you with information you need to keep healthy. Please pick up the flu brochure when you're in the library.
I got my flu shot the first week of October. Have you had yours? Protect yourself today! After all, it's that season again.
(Some resources: http://health.state.ga.us/pandemicflu/, http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/flu.htm, http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/

No comments: