Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I'm Still On This Movie Thing...

When we were talking about movies the last time, it made me wonder how many movies have been made here in Georgia. I found out there are quite a few.
Remember the Titans was filmed in and around DeKalb County, some shots at Druid Hills High School and some at Shamrock Middle School.
Sharkey's Machine was filmed at the old Columbia Mall, which is now a Walmart.
Remember the movie A Man Called Peter? That was one of the first movies filmed in Georgia, in places around Atlanta, Covington, Decatur and Stone Mountain.
Then there was Deliverance (not one of my favorites!). That took the film crew to Clayton, Lake Tallulah Falls, Rabun Gap and Tallulah Gorge. Beautiful outdoor areas to film movies.
Now, a movie I did find funny was My Cousin Vinny. It was filmed mainly in Covington and surrounding areas like Alto, Bostwick, Gainesville and Monticello.
There is also The Gospel (by Rob Hardy), which was filmed in Atlanta.
And I think the one we'll remember since it's a more recent film is We Are Marshall. That one was filmed in Atlanta.
Many of these movies you can check out through our library. I understand you can take them on your vacation and when finished with them, drop them off at another PINES library. Our courier service will bring them home.
Right now, I think I'll go find out where Gone With the Wind was really filmed. Wonder if it was in some big back lot of a film-making conglomerate out there in Los Angeles? Or here in Georgia?
It's fun to find out these things and then watch the movies to see if I recognize any place. That's another way to travel Georgia!

No comments: