Wednesday, July 29, 2009

One Thing Leads To Another

My friend sent me a video the other day to watch on my computer. Of course, she knows that I really like the works of glass artist Dale Chihuly. He does amazing things with glass, such as hanging installations, curved tubes, globes, spheres, shells and seaforms, baskets, etc. He's had exhibits in places all over the world and all over the United States. I saw his glass works for my first and only time in real life in Atlanta, and I've been a fan ever since.
You can go to his website and see what I mean. It's http://www.dalechihuly.com/. His works will make your mouth drop open in amazement or maybe water from looking at the luscious, candy-like forms.
One thing I heard Chihuly say on the video I watched was: "When it starts to feel like work, I'll stop." Spoken like a true artist, I thought; one who has an abundance of wealth and fame. But I do know what he means! And I certainly hope he never stops making these fascinating pieces of glass.
I decided, with my curiosity wrapped around my shoulders like a cloak, to check the PINES System and see what we have in the way of glass-blowing. I didn't find that particular topic, but did find plenty about "glass."
There are books about stained glass, such as the Tiffany Windows (748.5E) and Architectural Glass for Professional Designers (729.8M). One that caught my eye was Antique Glass in Color (748.59M), and one I had to laugh about was The Fiberglass Repair and Construction Handbook (666.157W), but I can see where that would be of help to someone.
There are books about American pressed glass, gardens under glass (miniature greenhouses in bottles), depression glass, carnival glass, European art glass, and genealogy Glass. There were even authors with the last name of Glass.
In fact, one book was titled just Glass (E666.1G). And there were many novels with glass in the titles. Look at these: Catcher with a Glass Arm by Matt Christopher (JF Christopher), I Wish I Had Glasses Like Rosa by Kathryn Heling (E813.54H, Spanish), The Glass Flame by Phyllis Whitney, and The Glass-blowers by Daphne DuMaurier. There were lots more, too. You can find them in the PINES System by using the keyword "glass."
But, I'll tell you this, when you go to the Dale Chihuly website and see the glass this man makes, with his students and his teams of artists, you'll be hooked. Then you'll know what I meant when I said, "One thing leads to another."

No comments: