Thursday, August 27, 2009

And The President's Reading...

A blurb on Yahoo the other day said that the President's favorite book is "Where the Wild Things Are." The book by Maurice Sendak was written in 1963 and has won several awards.

It's about the wild adventure of a boy named Max, who was sent to his room without supper for talking back to his mother. The amazing thing about the story, to me, is it's only ten sentences long! And it's available in our library for you to read.

Just today I learned it's going to be in theaters on October 16th, where you can see Max's wild adventure flashing before your eyes, big as life, while you're sitting in the dark. How scary can that be? I'll be one of the first ones to see it, I know.

But that's not all President Obama is reading. Yahoo listed five other books on his reading list.
  • The Way Home by George Pelecanos is a crime thriller. Even though we don't have that book, we do have another by Pelecanos. The Night Gardner is not only in our fiction section, but we have the story on CDs, too.
  • Lush Life by Richard Prince is about race and class in New York's Lower East Side. You can find that in our mystery section.
  • Hot, Flat, and Crowded by Tom Friedman talks about the benefits to America of an environmental revolution. The book is on our shelf, located at 363.7F.
  • John Adams by David McCullough is a biography and in our biography section.
  • Plainsong by Kent Haruf is about eight people living in a Colorado prairie community. This surprised me, because it's the only book on the President's list (other than Wild Things) that I've read. But it's one that stuck in my memory as a great read. You can check it out through our PINES catalog as an Inter-Library Loan.

After looking over the President's list, I think I'll see what Lush Life is all about. I might even check out Plainsong again. And I definitely know I'll go see Wild Things the minute it hits the big screen. But I think I'll take a friend with me. Just in case I get scared!

No comments: