Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Inner Critic Is Working On Me

Everyone has one. An inner critic. And mine's a negative one, not a constructive one! At least, most of the time it's not constructive.
Mine is working on me today.
Heeyyyy, now that the library is closed for a week, you should be able to write about anything you want to...not all that library stuff.
Sounds lovely. Like what?
Why don't you write about that movie you saw last Saturday?
Yeah, that's a good idea.
I went to see "Julie & Julia," the movie about Julia Child. It was hilarious, but it didn't make me want to cook French food from the Julia Child cookbook. Nevertheless, it did appeal to me, because of the young gal writing a blog about her cooking Julia Child's recipes, and the old gal (sorry, Julia) going through all the pains of trying to get her cookbook published in the USA. And it did send me to our stack of cookbooks to see how many Julia Child cookbooks we have here at the library.
Stop that now! You're not supposed to write about library stuff!
Okay. Let's see. Well, my coworker is on vacation in the state of Washington where she's visiting her daughter. When I go on vacation, I want to go to the beach. But the closest I've been able to get is to read Dorothea Benton Frank's books: Sullivans Island, Pawley's Island, The Isle of Palms, books like that. Our library has lots of beach reads.
There you go again...talking about books! And the library! Don't you have anything else going on in your life?
I did go to Thomasville the other day for a little shopping. Managed to find some fall leaves for an October display. Oh, and I got a lime green, fringed throw for the dragon display that I'm going to put up the first of September. And I found a dark green tablecloth for our hiking display...
Stop! Stop! Stop! Girl, I don't know what I'm going to do with you! You've got no life! All you think about is what you have going on here at this library.
No I don't! I DO have a life! I have friends and my cats and my books and my writing. I go places and do things that I like to do. But there are some things I DON'T want in my life.
And what's that?
YOU! I don't need an inner critic fussing at me about my library and my job! I like things just like they are! So, there! Stuff youself back in that bottle you blew out of and leave me alone! Tomorrow's another day. Just wait to see what I write about then!
Bet it'll be about this library! Girl, what am I going to do with you!!!

No comments: