Thursday, October 1, 2009

Can I Talk To You About Your Cell Phone, Please?

Remember the other day when we talked about controversial things? It did create some discussion around here.
One person told me that I didn't include cell phones and how annoying they are in the library.
So, can I talk to you about your cell phone, please?
We have an awful time with cell phones around here. Although there are signs posted all over the place, people still tend to ignore them, as well as the people they are bothering.
We ask patrons turn off their cell phones or put them on mute. However, if they ring, patrons are to take them to the genealogy foyer or outside to answer. Invariably, the person will answer it right then and talk (sometimes loudly) as they walk through the hall or down the steps to outside. Many times they get only as far as the short corridor where the restrooms are. They go around the corner and hide while they talk. They're standing in front of three signs that say "No cell phones." Blind as bats.
Many times they get upset with us because they can't sit at the computer and have their discussion. Of course, that upsets the people next to them, who are trying to concentrate on whatever they have on their computers.
We thought about banning cell phones. We thought about having a counter where cell phones could be checked in until the patron was ready to leave the library. You know, kinda like when the gunslingers used to have to check their guns in at the bar.
But we shouldn't have to do that with people who consider themselves adults. Just like we shouldn't have to ask a person to take his/her cell phone outside. Just like we shouldn't have to argue with someone who probably knows what the library rule is.
And have you heard some of the different rings those phones have? All the way from chimes to the latest number one song on the hit parade chart.
I have a little friend who would take me to task about even writing such things, since everyone is supposed to have the right to do whatever they want to do, if it's not hurting anyone else.
But, your cell phone, when it rings in the wrong place...like the hospital or church or movies or the library...does hurt others. It makes them angry you're not more considerate of them. It makes them really dislike you, especially since they were considerate enough to turn off their own cell phones.
I guess the last thing I'll say about cell phones is this. I received an email this morning showing an old gentleman, who said he was retired. And here's what he said about cell phones:
"I was thinking about how a status symbol of today is those cell phones that everyone has clipped to their belt or purse. I can't afford one, so I'm wearing my garage door opener. I also made a cover for my hearing aid, and now I have what they call blue teeth,
I think."
If you don't believe we have a policy regarding cell phones, please check at the circulation counter. Everyone would really appreciate it.

No comments: