Wednesday, October 14, 2009

What Are You Thankful For?

Sometimes we have to plan a few weeks ahead to get our work done, don't we? If you're like me and I don't plan ahead, then it just doesn't get done.
Today I had November on my mind, and November usually makes me think of Thanksgiving and whatever I should be thankful for. In order to get my brain working in that direction, I checked out several websites and blogs to see what people were writing about in terms of being thankful.
My goodness! One person had a blog with 50 things they were thankful for! It included snow covered mountains, iPhones and iPods, and dishwashers. All of which I do not partake. If it has snow on it, then I'm not far enough South. If it has an "i" in front of it, then I leave it alone. And my dishwasher...well, it's used for
storage.
Several bloggers listed 10 things they were thankful for! That's more my number, too. One blogger included makeup, self defense, and cable TV. Those were all things I could relate to. The makeup made me think of my mother. She used to say (to us women) that you need to "put your face on in the morning so you don't make the world feel as bad as you look." As for self defense, my husband taught me and my daughter a good deal about self defense (for which we are thankful). And cable TV...well, I usually like it, but feel I could live without it most of the time.
Some of the bloggers wrote thoughtful things they were thankful for. Such as "the soldiers at war, in my place," and "time...don't take it for granted," and "that I live in the USA." I especially admired the blogger who said he was thankful "that my adolescent runaway is home," and the woman who said "a warm roof over my head, plenty of food, good books, in remission, and seven cats."
One blogger mentioned being thankful for libraries; another was thankful for a good novel. Many people were thankful for the same basic things: family, friends, health. Several were thankful for our president, religion, and peace of mind. I even saw bloggers who were thankful for "my writing career," blogging, and the
Internet.
I had to laugh at those who were thankful for coffee, chocolate, and air conditioning on a hot day. Those are my kind of people! Also the ones who were thankful for fresh fruit, red wine, and peanut
butter.
November is coming and it's never too early to plan ahead for the upcoming events. Just imagine starting on November 1st and writing down one thing you're thankful for each day until Thanksgiving Day. You'd have what...25 things you could list? Then on Thanksgiving Day you could read them all, while you're celebrating with that big turkey and dressing, or whatever traditional food you're
having.
However, since I started writing this blog today, I've also started my "thankful" list. I have 12 things on it so far. Guess you could say I have a jump on November 1st.
So. What are you thankful for?

No comments: