Tuesday, October 20, 2009

We Have Birds At Our Windows Again!

With the weather turning cooler, we took pity on our little birdies this weekend and set out the new feeder and watering dish.
It took a good deal of scrubbing to clean the water dish, but once it was filled and placed on the shepherd's hook, the reward was watching the birds drink and bathe in the dish.
And the feeder got a good cleaning, also. Once seed was in it and it was hung on the opposite side of the shepherd's hook from the water, we had more feathered friends in a couple of hours than we could have dreamed to have. They literally flocked the place, including the holly bushes just beneath the feeder.
All this activity made me remember the year the Painted Bunting showed up. In fact, one showed up two years in a row, but I don't know if it was the same one both years.
Yesterday, the cats and I sat back from the window a little, so we couldn't be seen, and watched a bright red male Cardinal as he fed sunflower seeds to his little wifey (well, that's what I want to call her). It was like watching a movie. The cats surprised me at how still they could be, even with their tails switching slightly.
So, today when I got to work, I looked for just the right book to help me learn a little more about attracting more birds to the feeder. The book I selected is "How to Attract, House and Feed Birds" by Walter E. Schutz. It's an old book, but it's a goodie. Tells about bird watching, food, water, shelter, and some helpful hints. I was especially interested in that section, where it talks about winter care
of birds.
There's still lots for me to do before our coldest part of the year arrives. I need to stock up on peanut butter and suet (I plan to make my suet balls this year). And I want to find another source of water. Maybe one of those dishes with the small heating unit that doesn't shock the birds, but keeps their water from freezing.
I won't have any birdhouses. However, I do know that they sometimes make little homes in the holly bushes near the feeder, so they'll have homes. But if I can provide food and water at a time of the year when all the flying insects and bugs seem to be holding up somewhere else, then I'll be able to help feed them some. Winter's hard on the birds when their natural food hides from them.
This is a wonderful time of the year to watch birds. And we have plenty of books here at the library to help you learn about them. Just think, birdwatching and reading books from the library...nice fall and winter projects. And they're part of our FREE stuff!

No comments: