Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Day The Magnolia Garden Club Met

There are quite a few groups that meet at the library on a regular basis...genealogy researchers, lapband supporters, retired teachers, writers, and dieters just to name a
few.
The day several ladies carried beautiful flowers toward the Jenkins Conference Room, I knew the Magnolia Garden Club was meeting. I gathered up my paper and pencil and decided to pay them a little visit to see the
flowers.
Most of the ladies carried several containers: cans, coke bottles, large and small vases. They deposited their containers on the counter where a colorful display began to grow.
I introduced myself to Peggy and told her I wanted to let our readers know about the club's gorgeous flowers for this meeting. She just sparkled as she showed me her yellow Lady Banks roses, white Cherokee rose blossoms (that's the state flower, you know), and a big snowball
hydrangea.
Now, I know all these flowers have special names (many I can't even pronounce), but it was the color of the specimens that delighted me. This is April when everything is in bloom and Moultrie is a riot of spectacular color.
I watched Ruby, Jackie and Grace, the hostesses for the month, prepare the long table with scrumptious eats and fruit, lime green plates and napkins. It would be a tasty meeting, too.
Ruby's flowers were lavender wisteria, Lady Banks roses and white irises. They graced a very tall glass vase with the wisteria and roses draping down the sides. The vase was placed in the center of the food table where it looked rather regal.
As the counter display grew, I saw azaleas in every shade of pink, white baby's breath, yellow daffodils, lavender scilla, white dogwood, white bridal wreath, pink flowering almond, spring green bottlebrush fern, pale pink blooming cherry, yellow bearded iris, salmon pink Gerber daisys, tiny green ivy, pink miniature azalea, lavender Rosemary, white pear tree blossoms, and pink lorapetalum.
Joyce brought a lavender flower and said she didn't know what it was. She wondered if it was just a pretty weed, but I imagined someone would be able to tell her exactly what it was.
Mary arranged an oriental-looking display she said was called "Spring Splendor." I decided it must be part of the program.
As Ruby, Jackie, Grace, Peggy, Nina, Patsy, Mildred, Fay, Odelle, Joyce, Mary, Dottie, Lorena, and Wendy took their seats for the meeting to begin, I slipped out the door. I hated to leave that room; the perfume from the flowers made me want to stay. And even as I walked back toward the main foyer, I saw more ladies hurrying to the meeting with their contributions.
The samples of colorful blooms from right here in Moultrie made my day. There are colors in each fragile petal that you can hardly believe. But you can come see for yourself.
The Magnolia Garden Club meets the first Tuesday of the month at 9 a.m. If you're interested in more information, give Peggy Bridges a call at 941-2000.

No comments: