Thursday, October 7, 2010

I just hate book sales!

Sometimes I just hate a book sale! I mean, I could spend all day looking at books that are on sale. For some reason, the word "sale" is like a magnet. Take this morning for
instance.
I had just clocked in and made my rounds to see if all our displays were filled (and they were, thanks to Keva), when I noticed our big book sale had gone down in size from five tables to only two. So, I drifted over to see what was left.
Big mistake!
The tables held mostly Juvenile Fictions, many with fascinating titles, such as: The Clay Pot Boy, The Nose Tree, Humbug Mountain, The Hat-Shaking Dance, The Hairy Horror Trick, Nutty Can't Miss, The TV Kid, and Ike & Mama and the Once-in-a-Lifetime Movie.
Of course, I had to open a few and see what they were about.
Tales from Silver Lands by Charles J. Finger, illustrated by Paul Honore', was awarded the Newbery medal on July 9, 1925. Mr. Finger learned these stories from the Indians in South America as he went from one "Silver Land" to another, far from railroads or main lines of travel. They all make fascinating tales for the older fairy tale age and grown-ups.
Since I'm a turtle-lover and saver of all those slowly trying to cross the roads, I had to look at Tales of Myrtle the Turtle by Keith Robertson, drawings by Peter Parnall. It was actually the drawing on the cover that caught my eye and the ivory-colored cover that's all crinkled like a turtle's rough skin. Robertson's imaginative eavesdropping on an illustrious turtle family has resulted in a wacky, completely untrue book about turtles, which manages to turn the tables, giving us a fresh look at the human race - and not always to our credit.
I did find a few Easy Readers for the younger children, one being Something Queer at the Library. When a couple of young girls find some weirdo has been cutting pictures of dogs out of expensive library books, they're determined to find out who's doing it because Mr. Hobart, the librarian, has trusted them with the books, and they'll be blamed unless they find the culprit. The book is by Elizabeth Levy and illustrated by Mordicai Gerstein. (I'm going to read it today, then put it back on the table.)
And I found an adult fiction by Tom Horn, The Shallow Grass, a Novel of Texas. The book is about the Texas grasslands and three generations of the Parker Family: Tom, the big wealthy rancher; Arron, his son, who lives to see oil derricks march across the grasslands; and Arron's son, Ronnie, the tragic focal point of an epic confrontation between the nobility of the grasslands and the forces bent on its destruction.
Well, now you know why I hate book sales. I get so involved in reading through them, gingerly selecting those I want to read, and hating to leave behind any that I feel I probably should have taken.
Besides, the books in our sale are so inexpensive you can buy stacks and stacks. Hardbacks are only 25 cents, paperbacks 10 cents, audios and videos 50 cents. Other books are for sale as marked, including several sets of encyclopedias.
Let's see, I'm reading today Something Queer at the Library (it's short), but buying Tales of Myrtle the Turtle and one called Ride the Pine Sapling by Beth Bland
Engel.
The day's still early. I may make another trip by the tables. You better get here and get the ones you want before all the good books are gone. Well, really, they're all good books. That's my problem!

No comments: