Thursday, October 21, 2010

No, it's not just another day at the library

We sat in the break room this morning and talked about working at the library. About how to not take unpleasant situations so personally, about how to be more responsive to our patrons, and about how we've reached the place we're at right now.
A little earlier a patron had wanted to buy a set of medical encyclopedias and didn't have the $5 to pay until tomorrow. I told her we'd be glad to hold them for her in our processing room. A few minutes later, a staff member hauled the two heavy boxes into processing and put them on a
table.
Well, to make a long story short, the staff member and I had different ideas about how the matter should have been handled. We went our separate ways, but later found ourselves in the break room together and began to talk about what we felt was a small problem between
us.
One thing led to another and we found ourselves talking about personal faults - me and how I struggle to stay upbeat, smiling and friendly to everyone; her and how she tries to balance authority, knowledge and kindness at work while coping with the rigors of college courses. We talked about past experiences, our library patrons, and how we hope to contribute to the progress of our work
place.
Being much older than the staff member, I realize I talked more about my life experiences, about a recent conference I'd attended regarding the future of libraries, and how her youthfulness will bring fresh ideas to our library.
We must have talked for thirty minutes. It was a good talk. I learned a lot from her.
But what I really learned was that we're both doing the very best we can. I saw in her a younger me, full of ambition and struggles to make it through each day, to make it a better day every day, and give my very best to each person I come in contact with. To share a smile, a kindness, and a helpful word to all who enter the doors of the Moultrie-Colquitt County Library.
But the best thing I found was a friend, a better friend, in this staff member, which made it not just another day at the library.

No comments: