Wednesday, October 13, 2010

On this day many years ago

On this day, October 13th, quite a few years ago, my son was born. When I woke up this morning, I thought back to that time...a Friday the 13th when he was born. He weighed 7 lbs. 13 oz., was 21 inches long, and we were in Room 711. The whole thing sounded like one of those games played in the back room of a dark bar. Right?

Well, anyhow, today I woke up thinking about him. And on the way to work I remembered all the times I read to him as a child, him and his brother who was four years older.

In fact, I read to all my children when they were little, until they could read for themselves. The youngest one began reading at 4 years old. Just had to do it for himself.

And here we are in the middle of October, the Family History Month, and I'm remembering all these things I should be recording for my children. I've documented lots of things, but these little stories I haven't written down. I guess now is the time.

My last child was a boy also. When he was born he had hair like little orange duck feathers, light and floaty all over his head. I remember going to a fall bazaar at Children's Hospital and purchasing a lap quilt simply because it had little orange squares in it, orange squares the color of his hair. When he was about four months old, I would put him on the quilt in front of the television where he could watch Sesame Street and all it's colorful characters. This weekend I'm sending the quilt to him, along with the story of when and why I bought it.

Well, back to today's birthday boy. He's a man now, on his own, doing his own thing. I have to admit I'm proud of him. Not only because he's turned into such a fine young man, but because he's doing something I like...graphic design in a regional library in Florida. We have lots of things in common and his library job is just another one.

Wonder why I had to tell you all this? I suppose because it's Family History Month and October 13th was once a Friday 13th and I have a son with a birthday today.

Somehow my life has always had libraries in it. All the way from getting books to read to my children when they were little up to having a son who works in a library. It's amazing how important reading and libraries have been in my life.
And the last amazing thing...I'm here working in a library. And able to tell you about it...the Moultrie-Colquitt County Library.

I hope reading and libraries are important to you also. Especially ours.

No comments: