Thursday, November 4, 2010

Funny titles...again!

     I just finished reading one of my favorite blogs.  Bill Starr has been the executive director of the Georgia Center for the Book since 2003 and he's the writer of Bill's Blog.  It's not a daily writing, so catching up with his thoughts is a once-a-week thing for me.  Today I read, once again, his blog about funny titles.  Now that's a subject I really like.
     It made me want to make my way down the long white hallway to one of my favorite places in the library...our sale books. 
     These are the books that, if they were mine, I could never throw away.  I suppose that's why they're on the sale shelf.  We couldn't throw them away either.
     I started looking for funny titles in the long, low shelves.  I've done this many times before.  The funny titles just seem to pop out at me, like a flash of recognition, like a book that says "read me," and usually I do.
     Of course, the kids' books have the funniest titles, such as:
Sparrows Don't Drop Candy Wrappers by Margaret Gabel,
Me and the Eggman by Eleanor Clymer,
Do Bananas Chew Gum? by Jamie Gilson and Hello, My Name is Scrambled Eggs, and
The Horse on the Roof by Bob Wells.
     Lots of adults don't enjoy reading juvenile fiction, however.  And they really don't know what they're missing. 
     So, there's funny titles for them also, such as:
That's Doctor Sinatra, You Little Bimbo! by G. B. Trudeau,
Feeling Kind of Temporary by Frank Edmund See,
Dude, Where's My Country? by Michael Moore,
How to be a Pregnant Father by Peter Mayle, and
Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins.
     Of course, I can never just walk away with empty hands.  I did find a book with a funny title that I took back to the office for a closer look.  And it may end up on my bookshelf at home.
     If you're like me, you're looking forward to the holiday season simply because it's a time of year that we seem to put forth an extra effort to make scrumptious foods, some once-a-year foods.  That, of course, leads to putting on extra pounds, which in turn makes me think of having to lose those extra pounds, which in turn makes me think of New Year's resolutions.  (Pay no attention to that badly written sentence!)
     But with this book I selected from our book sale shelf, I'll have a head start on my resolutions.  Of course, it has a funny title in a serious kind of way.
     The name?  Oh, it's Outsmarting the Midlife Fat Cell by Debra Waterhouse, MPH, RD.  Just perfect for this time of the year.
(Source: Bill's Blog, http://www.georgiacenterforthebook.org/)  

No comments: