Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Did I tell you about my "bucket list" for 2012?

     I had a couple of friends over on Christmas Eve for my "Christmas Simple."  (What's a Christmas Simple? you ask.  Just soup, salad and dessert.  Simple!)
     While we were sitting around the table eating our Country Chicken Chowder, I handed them a piece of paper and pen, and said..."Now you get to write down 10 items for your 2012 bucket list."
     I can hear you now.  "What's a bucket list?"
     There's a movie by that name..."The Bucket List"...with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman.  They played characters who had only a short time to live and came up with things they wanted to do before they kicked the bucket.  Hence, a bucket list.
     So, I asked my friends to come up with their bucket list, but not of things they wanted to do before they died.  No, we all had to do a 2012 bucket list.  After all, let's keep it simple.
     It's harder to do than you think!
     There are just too many things I want to do before I kick the bucket.  And trying to put some of those things in a 10-item list for 2012 was even harder.
     I didn't put down read 100 books in 2012!  Or even 50.  Or even 25.  I'm going to read as many as I can anyhow, so that was not even a consideration for my bucket list.
     No, I put down things I thought I could accomplish in reality for 2012.
     Like walk the beaches of Jekyll Island again.  I haven't done that in about four or five years now.
     Like help five complete strangers in some way...and not let them know it was me.
     Like see something majestic (that was in the movie, by the way, and a good one too.  But I'm going to have to change it, because I think I see something majestic most days here in South Georgia when I look at the blue sky through the tall green pines and see billowing white clouds.)
     I can't remember all of my items right now, but you get the idea.
    Of course, like I've told you before, everytime I write the blog about my world away from the library, I always try to see how I can fit it into something at the library.
     So, I've decided to ask the staff to give me one thing each they'd like to see on the 2012 library's bucket list.  Things we want to see accomplished in our library during the year.
     You never know what people will come up with.  Right now we need another permanent full-time janitor, since our last one has left the premises (we hope to go back to his hometown).
     Maybe we need to have more specialty programs.  Maybe we need to have all the furniture in the adult reading area cleaned.  Maybe we need to have better signs up for where things are...like the fiction novels, or sci-fi books, or young adults books...or large-print books.  Whatever.
     Hey, you, out there!!!  What would you like to see accomplished in our library?  If you live in the Moultrie-Colquitt County area, then this library is your library, too!  And we'd like your input. 
     A bucket list.  What do you think about that?  Maybe you should consider doing your 2012 bucket list.  Might surprise you what you come up with.

No comments: