Thursday, January 12, 2012

Filling in the blanks

     Every year our director gives us a new calendar.  For the past two years, they've been green.  Before that they were wine-colored.  And every year in January I know I have lots of blanks to fill in.
     You see, I'm one of those people who takes last year's calendar, puts it beside this year's, and starts transferring reoccurring events, noteworthy notes, and other stuff that I just must remember.  Do you do that?  Well, if I didn't, I wouldn't be able to function here at work.  Things would just slip past me (like they did the other day when I didn't have on my calendar to make the signs to post for our Monday, January 16th, closing for the observance of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday).
     Anyway, today has been my day of "filling in the blanks" on my new calendar.
     And you know what?  I didn't realize how much stuff we did last year!
     My son-in-law used to tell me that my house calendar read like a diary.  Well, you should see my work calendar!  It's definitely one I don't want everyone to see.  It is one of the most marked up tools I've ever had and one of the most used tools I've ever used.
     And the Day Planner in my purse looks just about the same way.
     It's beginning to sound like I'm a compulsive planner, huh?  My daughter says I'm just organized.
     I don't think I'm a compulsive planner.  But I sure hate to miss a meeting I was supposed to go to, or forget to put up a sign that the public needs to read, or forget to plan for Black History Month or National Library Week or the Summer Reading Program.
     See what I mean?
     Well, it's already 3:15 p.m. and I'm only into August.  During that month we close for a week for inventory, when we do all the yearly cleaning and weeding of books, etc.  When maintenance comes to do their annual inspection, cleaning and repairing (other than when we call for help right now).  When we all pitch in to dust, rearrange, and check on all kinds of equipment.
     We have lots of good things planned for this year that I put on my calendar.  And of course, there will be some things I don't have on there that we haven't even dreamed up yet that will be exciting for our patrons and the community in general.
     I think it's going to be an exciting year, but then I think that every year.  This is the one place where I've enjoyed working more than anywhere else.  I suppose my calendar shows me that.
     But, boy! I'll tell you.  If I didn't have that calendar I wouldn't remember that next week we have to mail the fliers for the Janisse Ray writers workshop (which is already filled a week ahead of the event) or get the staff newsletter to our director or send out the February Board meeting announcements or...or...or....

No comments: