Wednesday, May 1, 2013

BOOKS WITH FUNNY TITLES AT OUR BOOK SALE

     A couple of events prompted this blog today.
     First, when I visited Bill Starr's blog for the Georgia Center for the Book, I read one of his March blogs about books with funny titles.  Seems the Diagram Prize from Great Britain was awarded to books with the oddest titles of the year...such as, Goblinproofing One's Chicken Coop.  Bill went on to list a few more that were runners-up.  Needless to say, they were really funny titles.  Maybe more funny than what I found.
     The thought of odd titles caused me to venture down the long white hallway to our auditorium where members of our Library Friends were sorting the many donated books for our huge book sale this weekend, May 3 through 5.
     I asked them to pay no attention to me, that I wouldn't get in their way, because I was just searching for different, funny, and odd titles of books for today's blog.  Like Bill, I love particular book titles and found quite a few as I roamed the tables that were being covered in rapid speed.
     How about these (with comments I just had to say):
  • Stones into Schools by Greg Mortenson (the same author of Three Cups of Tea and a scandal, I'm sorry to say)
  • The Tender Shoot  by Colette (made me think of Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss)
  • Rich Men, Single Women by Pamela Beck and Patti Massman (what? married women not included?)
  • The Autobiography of Santa Claus as told to Jeff Guinn (since we have Santa Claus on our Odom Library Board, I thought I'd run this one past him to see how true it is)
  • I Wish You Didn't Know My Name by Michele Launders and Penina Spiegel (and then we found the one below)
  • That's Not My Name by Yvonne Navarro (we have a controversy here)
  • Ten Letters, The Stories Americans Tell Their President by Eli Slaslow (some people would say this is better than the stories their President would tell)
  • It Probably Won't Kill You...Twisted Humor for Your Kitchen by Iyan Igma (I'm proud to say this author used to work here at our library and has some very good recipes)
  • The Hormone Jungle by Robert Reed (a fiction by a man, of course) and
  • Sacred Cows Make the Best Burgers by Robert Kriegel and David Brandt (this one instantly sold to one of the Friends members, who said she was getting it for her husband!)
     These are all real books - look them up (so said Bill Starr also).  In fact, come to our gigantic book sale this weekend and find them. 
      Times for the sale are:  Friday, May 3, 4:00 to 6:30, Friends Members only;  Saturday, May 4, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.;   and Sunday, May 5, 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.  The Big Bag Sale will be from 4 to 5 p.m. for any items not selected, bags provided by the Friends, and only $4.00 per bag! Fill it full to the top!
      You really shouldn't miss this sale.  Everything will be from 25 cents to $2.00!!!  There won't be a good buy like this until next year.  So, we'll look for you there.

1 comment:

Holly Phillips said...

Sacred Cows Make the Best Burgers made me laugh out loud!