Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Maybe We Should Have A "Granny Brigade" In Moultrie

My AARP magazine came the other day. (Yep! I'm old enough to get one.) A tiny little article at the bottom of one page caught my eye. It said: "Grandmothers Rule!" Cool, I thought. (A saying that really makes me old, huh?) Anyhow, the article was talking about how the mayor of Salinas, California, decided to create a "granny brigade" to fight gang violence in his city. He said they were a working-class community with a lot of single parents and the reality was that a lot of time the grandmothers were running the home. So, he met with 30 Salinas grandmothers to ask them to visit area juvenile detention facilities. But that wasn't what caught my eye! He also asked the grandmothers to help ensure that all first-graders obtain library cards! WOW! What insight, I thought. So, maybe we should have a "granny brigade" here in Moultrie. A group of 30 or so grandmothers who would be willing to make sure that every kid in the first grade had a library card. After all, this is National Library Card Month. Do I have any volunteers? (Source: AARP Magazine, Sept./Oct. 2007)

1 comment:

Caterpillar said...

Ok--you've got me. I'll be in to sign up for my library card.